These are the best I found, for me. I have been using these for a few years now!

I have used these for years, I have tinnitus too, I find if I trim approximately 1/8 inch off of the tip, they don't touch my ear drum and are quite a bit more comfortable. Wind noise is good, exhaust is noticeable. I think I may try lining an older helmet with MLV, mass loaded vynal to absord some of the exhaust vibes. Another thought that I had is in regards to helmet snugness, seems the tighter the chin strap the more sound may be transmitted to bone. I have noticed differences from day to day with the same set up, just a thought.

Hoopla

I have used these for years, I have tinnitus too, I find if I trim approximately 1/8 inch off of the tip, they don't touch my ear drum and are quite a bit more comfortable. Wind noise is good, exhaust is noticeable. I think I may try lining an older helmet with MLV, mass loaded vynal to absord some of the exhaust vibes. Another thought that I had is in regards to helmet snugness, seems the tighter the chin strap the more sound may be transmitted to bone. I have noticed differences from day to day with the same set up, just a thought.

Hoopla
Never heard of MLV before so googled and found this 4kg per sq. metre wouldn't that add heaps of weight to your helmet?

4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl (NuWave Base) 6.75m2 Roll

Never heard of MLV before so googled and found this 4kg per sq. metre wouldn't that add heaps of weight to your helmet?
4kg/m2 Mass Loaded Vinyl (NuWave Base) 6.75m2 Roll
If it's anything like Dynamat type stuff. HELL YES. I lined my original Bear claw with similar. When I received a spare claw last month (I intend to do some cutting) I could not get over how much lighter it is without. Light lids are good for the neck.

Noise etc. After years of not using them - I concede unconditionally - Plugs work.

The Flare plugs work well and don't deform after sleeping with them in. imo the best solution is buy the foams and make up the spigots (if you can). Or maybe buy foams from Comply™ Foam Tips - Replacement Earphone Tips - imo there is a TINY difference between the Aluminium and Titanium spigots - I really must make some in carbon and stainless (maybe lead).

Now then - Helmets. I use a Caberg Duke. This is homologated as both full face and open face - it is a flip front and is one of very few flip fronts that gets a 5star SHARP rating in the UK. (the others are all Caberg and the Shark Evoline).

EarPlugs in so any sound is PURE bone conduction: Riding with the front flipped up is radically quieter than with it down and also quieter than just the visor flipped up. So much so I can sometimes even hear the tinnitus. I think (I said think) the space twixt face and visor acts like a resonance chamber and causes the helmet to shudder, flex, whatever... Wind turbulence is very much a factor. In my case maybe also affected by me removing the chin piece wind guard.

If I move my head forwards to the screen - less helmet shake and much less noise. Also moving the interior dark sun-visor affects sound.

Also (irritatingly) I seem to get a lot of turbulence at my favorite cruising speed (which is north of legal but not vastly so).
This week I have done a couple of longish fast runs and the noise can be reduced by going faster or slower. No guesses what happens.

So what are the helmet options? - Honestly I do not know.

I want outstanding ventilation (the Duke has proven rather sweaty in summer) - fog free visor (pinlock) - internal sunvisor - Either flip front or jet with chin-bar. Can't see the justification for pure carbon. UK SHARP rating will be used. So will webbikeworld's reviews.

One that is on my RADAR is the CABERG GHOST. So is the (soon to be released) Caberg Levante. Nolan N40 Full? Dunno, it's not something I look at much until it's time. It will be time just after Xmas.

Colour - White or HiViz. Probably White.

Rocket scientist i too have a bean head and have a Shark helmet, when i fitted it i went one size down from where i was comfortable.so it was super tight pushing my cheeks in no sound or vibration. I have had that helmet for five years(yes saftey gurus i know helmets should be replaced earlier than five years) and it is getting abit loose so noise gets and ear plug it the right ear. Time to replace so i will go a Shark again.

I have had that helmet for five years(yes saftey gurus i know helmets should be replaced earlier than five years)
5 years is fine if you're a relatively infrequent rider - it is more to do with fit - if it feels loose - then you're right - time for a new one. I find these days 5 years is about when they loosen - back when I rode daily - 3 years tops. tbh I think the ON/OFF cycle is what screws the fit - more than actual use.

UV damage is also an issue in the hot/sunny desserts of the world. Especially if you leave your lid on the bike in the sun.

Back