Heated grips?

Yeap...not a fan of the oem heated grips...imo your best bet is anything other than oem heated grips

Much thanks to all of you for the useful information. I am no longer considering the OEM grips thanks to your insight. I am one of those that does not care for thick gloves so even though heated gloves and mits do sound appealing I think I am going to get some heated grips, and the Oxfords seem a good choice with a decent price point. The wealth of information on this site continues to amaze me.

PS, when going to order on Amazon some of the folks had installation problems dealing apparently with the correct size. Do any of you know if I should order model #OF692Z or OF690Z for my 2015 R3T? Thanks again.

Last edited:
Much thanks to all of you for the useful information. I am no longer considering the OEM grips thanks to your insight. I am one of those that does not care for thick gloves so even though heated gloves and mits do sound appealing I think I am going to get some heated grips, and the Oxfords seem a good choice with a decent price point. The wealth of information on this site continues to amaze me.

PS, when going to order on Amazon some of the folks had installation problems dealing apparently with the correct size. Do any of you know if I should order model #OF692Z or OF690Z for my 2015 R3T? Thanks again.

NEITHER OF THE ONES YOU MENTIONED ARE CORRECT FOR THE ROCKET3 they are 22mm versions for sports bikes or Adventure tourers.

ONLY GET THE ONES BELOW!

There was an earlier version with an ugly clunky dial controller like an old electric frypan.

The improved digital control version has been sold with two different packaging of same item - HOTGRIPS and HEATERZ
These are the ones I got from Poland for US$80
OXFORD PREMIUM CRUISER HEATED GRIPS CHOPPER 1" (25 mm) 1 INCH Heated levers

Manufacturer Part Number: EL800
UPC: 5030009097430
Oxford Products EL800 Heated Grips

OXFORD PREMIUM CRUISER HEATED GRIPS CHOPPER 1" (25 mm) 1 INCH Heated levers | eBay

OXFORD HOTGRIPS MOTORCYCLE HEATED GRIPS CRUISER FOR 1" BARS | eBay

Later packaging

Earlier packaging

Last edited:
Do the Oxford grips have the built in throttle sleeve, or do you have to reuse the original sleeve from the factory grip?
Thanks, Eric

You have to reuse the factory one or get one cheap off eBay which was why I posted a set in the Classifieds a few weeks ago.

And you'll ride your own way. I found in year 'round riding, I need layers.

Our hands are out there in the elements, elements that are just trying to suck the heat out and put them on ice. I've found that when my (YMMV) hands get to 55oF, I lose fine motor control.

So I heartily endorse heated grips -- that warm the palm of my hands and palm side of my fingers. Like the bad old days when we had to rely on fire places, grips alone can burn one side while the other side is too cold. So I wear heated gloves as well to take care of the top/back side of my hands and fingers.

And we Rocket riders are truly fortunate -- if you have a windshield that is -- I've been riding with the Wind Deflectors-Windshield Add-On designed and made by @Bedifferent and those are wonderful to moderate the worst of the elements, so less heat is needed. They also keep stones off one's knuckles.

That's just me.

I have been running with OEM grips for 3+ years now without issue. They get hot enough, when cranked all the way up, I need gloves to to hold the grips (I wear gloves anyways...but you get the point). That said, when I first installed them I had two pair fail two weeks apart; the cable end tore out of the grip housing. What was in common with both failures is I had gone past full throttle (totally cranked) and ultimately changed the direction of force on the grip where the cable attaches at the end. Honestly, that's never necessary (for me at least) and I was just exploring my new beast. I haven't had a need to crank that hard since and I've had no issues with the grips...but I do keep the original throttle grip in my pannier just in case.
-MIG

I have been running with OEM grips for 3+ years now without issue. They get hot enough, when cranked all the way up, I need gloves to to hold the grips (I wear gloves anyways...but you get the point). That said, when I first installed them I had two pair fail two weeks apart; the cable end tore out of the grip housing. What was in common with both failures is I had gone past full throttle (totally cranked) and ultimately changed the direction of force on the grip where the cable attaches at the end. Honestly, that's never necessary (for me at least) and I was just exploring my new beast. I haven't had a need to crank that hard since and I've had no issues with the grips...but I do keep the original throttle grip in my pannier just in case.
-MIG

The two wires that connect the grip to the wiring harness are covered by heat shrink up to the last 6mm inside the grip.
My observation was that the wires flex quite a bit at this point when the grip is rotated. I used a couple of drops of super glue to support and stiffen the wires before covering them with another layer of heat shrink. I also opened up the slot in the handlebar to provide plenty of clearance. All working fine so far.

Back