Gear skip on 2011 Roadster

TJW

Rubber Duck
Ride
2011 Rocket 3 Roadster
Bought a 2011 Roadster last year used with 38,000 km on it from trusted dealer. Its my third Triumph and so far my Favorite - 2006 Scrambler and 2008 Tiger before.

After putting 5000 km on it the bike has developed a slight transmission hiccup. Works fine all the time Except when I get on the throttle hard in 2nd or 3 rd gear and accelerate past 3000 rpm - just past 3000 there is slight hiccup like its jumping out of gear. It only lasts a split second and wont do it if i simply roll on the throttle past same rpm range. I have read through a number of threads and see there are tranny issues with these bikes but no one seems the same issue.

I have a great dealer who is going to work with me on the repair but i am wondering if anyone has a suggestion on what to check first to avoid the expensive labor of dropping the motor and splitting the cases.

Output shaft portions of the bike, sounds a lot like the initial symptoms I had back in 2015, which ended up being highly rounded dogs.

I had the same symptoms and mine ended up being a bent fork. Unfortunately the actions are the same, you need to crack the case to look.

Under very hard acceleration 2nd up to 3rd is a no, otherwise all ok.
Thought maybe it was me (different boots, bad timing ?) or poor adjustment of selector rod, where there is play at the top joint, but how much is too Mitch, and wouldn’t that hamper all gear changes?
Any suggestions please?

Unfortunately yours sounds exactly like mine. You can try to adjust the slack in the clutch cable but doubt it would help. Is it a hard jolt but stays in gear (doesn’t go into neutral), when you get on it?

@Claviger I think I would have had rounded dogs if it didn’t happen to me at the end of the season and I just didn’t push it.

I have heard of people not fixing it and just riding first longer and skipping to third. If you’ve done some searching here you will see it’s not a cheap or easy fix.

just my opinion
for test only
when u go into 2nd i would keep pressure up on the lever and if it tries to push your toe down then u know it is trying to kick out of second.
do not try to do this all the time it will wipe out the fork.

Oh my my another one...i had similar symptoms and mine ended up being a clip retaining 3rd on the output shaft coming loose and as a consequence the gear would float forward/backwards along the shaft. Like yours it was only a momentary loss of drive. Eventually it went bang at high speed in heavy traffic...seat still has teeth marks in it...so i would definitely park it up and open the cases.

I had an interesting convo with a bike restorer yesterday who thinks that the rounded dogs are most likely responsible for the circlips being forced out of their grooves. His opinion is the pressure on the dog face is trying to push the gears apart after they have engaged and the back pressure is translated through the clip.

Sounds reasonable for normal transmissions. In my case I know it was circlip installation error.

Guessing here guys but could it be the clutch slipping for an instant at maximum torque? TJW did mention that it was a "slight hickup, like it was jumping out of gear" and that it "only lasts a second". Obviously if it was jumping out of gear, it would stay out of gear...... wouldn't it?

Back