Second Gear Slipping

phar2slo

Living Legend
Ride
2006 classic
Hi all

I'm having trouble with second gear 2006 model.

It's feels as if when I'm giving it a bit of throttle the gear disengages then a loud clunk and away it goes.

Been doing it for a while now but yesterday when it clunked back into place it was the loudest and I nearly filled me pants.

So the main thing I need know is do I go down the road of buying the replacement up date kit cost of the complete kit in Kiwi dollars wait for it
$2500.00.

+ a week's labour to replace the bits and bobs.

Or can I get away with just getting the gears under cut and will this work.

Have text message @sleeves and said get on the forum and get some advice from those that have already been there done that before.

Also feels as if the clutch might be slipping too.

Cheers

Chris.

All the necessary components for a full rebuild will only set you back around 4k in Oz ...I'd do as Pedro has suggested...crack it open and replace what's worn/broken

Welcome to the “rounded dog” club. You’ll need to replace one or both in/out gears for second, but almost certainly the input will need replacing.

The parts count isn’t all that bad but the labor if you have it done is considerable. It will ultimately be dictated by what other parts you replace but just gaskets and bolts is around $200 US when splitting cases.

The gears might be OK. Take the front off. Remove the clutch basket and service it. Change the detent spring. Remove the oil pan to see if the strainers saved bits of the gear. If they are clean perhaps when you reassemble it the bike will shift fine.

I agree with Pedro replace whats needed 2nd/3rd drive dog ring. Plus second gear along with the splined bushings between 2nd and 3rd gear output. If it would be me I woulds consider the billet 4th gear even if you do not get the trans gears undercutt and larger cir-clips done.

I... needed 2nd/3rd drive dog ring. .
38888de298f1e11680c4519c2a4e5d38.jpg

Welcome to the “rounded dog” club. You’ll need to replace one or both in/out gears for second, but almost certainly the input will need replacing.

The parts count isn’t all that bad but the labor if you have it done is considerable. It will ultimately be dictated by what other parts you replace but just gaskets and bolts is around $200 US when splitting cases.

Yep what we discussed on the phone but needs to be confirmed.

Back