Controlling the Rocket III

There are a number of things to consider that when done together will make you SMOOTH and in control.

1. Using the "visual horizon" (vh) to coordinate your throttle control. The vh is the place where the road disappears over a rise or around a bend. If the vr is getting closer you should be decelerating. If it remains at the same distance from you, then steady throttle. As the vr moves away (the point you can see around the bend), then roll on the throttle.

2. Body position helps regulate your lean angle. Whilst you can "hang off" like a race bike, practicality wise, for the R3, it's more of weighting one ass cheek or the other. Some people discribe this position as if you are going to "kiss the mirrors".

As you approach a right turn, pre-lean right, lift your unweight your left cheek and weight your right ass cheek. Contersteer through the turn and as you roll on to finish turn, shift your body the other way, which maintains the bikes lean longer at the finish. The throttle up stands up the bike and the counterlean keeps it leaned longer.

Of course, do opposite for turning left.

If there are successive left/right/left really clise together...it is often better to just remain centered and exaggerate countersteering.

But regarding body position...the reason you are doing this is to counter the lean of the bike. Leaning right makes the bike lean left which means you can take a corner faster without scraping hard parts. The more the bike leans through the corner, the less traction is left. So leaning right for a right turn increases your traction.

3. Another consideration is your line through the turn. "Delayed apex" should be used whenever you can not see all the way through the turn and the exit beyond. Approach a left turn from the far right of your lane and a right turn as far to the left of your lane, as you consider safe. This lets you see farther around the bend sooner and also sets you up for not getting squeezed offroad or into opposing lane. (These comments are based on driving to the right countries.)

Great advice, and from one of the fastest riders I've ever followed. Anyone who's ever followed Andy through the twisties can attest to how deceptively fast he rides because of how smooth he rolls through the turns. Even with all my years of riding, I learned a lot just following your lines through the turns.

And it's great to see you posting again my friend. :thumbsup:

Great advice, and from one of the fastest riders I've ever followed. Anyone who's ever followed Andy through the twisties can attest to how deceptively fast he rides because of how smooth he rolls through the turns. Even with all my years of riding, I learned a lot just following your lines through the turns.

And it's great to see you posting again my friend. :thumbsup:

One of the most fun times I had on the Rocket was on that Gateway, CO loop ride.

I was trying to get video of everyone and the 2 bikes that were 2-up were kinda hanging back...meanwhile you, Charlie and the rest of the solo riders took off. I had to really boogie to catch you all...fantastically memorable ride! (Didn't publish that part-too illegal).

One of the most fun times I had on the Rocket was on that Gateway, CO loop ride.

I was trying to get video of everyone and the 2 bikes that were 2-up were kinda hanging back...meanwhile you, Charlie and the rest of the solo riders took off. I had to really boogie to catch you all...fantastically memorable ride! (Didn't publish that part-too illegal).

That was a fun ride. Hopefully we'll have another RAA in that area again soon.

The only muscles I feel any stress on are my quadriceps, with ass slid over on seat, head down and shoulders pushed forward, the leverage on the bars is very low so my arms don't pump.

Core doesn't tire of your going fast enough.

Back