Controlling the Rocket III

Turning your head into the direction of the corner also helps more than you would think, your body naturally follows your head, so tighter corner, turn your head into corner more. the Rocket is a heavy bike, you have to muscle it around a bit, so effectively shifting weight, counter steering, core crunching, peg standing, seat sliding, head turning, it's all part of fast corner riding. Fun stuff but a lot easier on a lighter bike made for that type of riding.

You will always be faster riding on a closed track course with [correct tires] and repetition knowledge of the apexes. Out on the street and in the mountain twisties I always ride slower than I can no matter what bike I'm riding. Cornering exhilaration drives adrenaline which make you want to go faster which is OK but for safety sake, crunching abs on the street usually leads to crunching bikes. Find a closed circuit course if you want to push the bike and your ability to ride it.

2 cents given, that is all. :):)

thanks for the info i didn't know i was doing it all wrong:laugh::laugh:
now as i under stand it when going into a right turn u slide off your seat to the right then take your right arm and push your head up your ass while trying to pull it out with your left. i guess i use all kinds of muscles. :laugh::laugh::laugh:
i do not think that i could slide off the seat because my ass bites the seat when i go into a corner to fast:eek:

I find that I do have to work the Rocket more than other bikes I have owned. I know it is the weight of the bike. I find myself pushing the counter steering to get her down where I want her to be and I also find powering out of corners helps get her up straight again. I actually really enjoy working her. When I am on roads I know it is easy. When I am on roads I am riding for the first time and being cautious I notice it more.

Mind you I have had no issues keeping up with anyone she can hang with the best of them. It amazes me how many people do not understand how to counter steer, the friction zone, and use the brakes. Then there are those that blow me away.

I still ride my America quite a bit and she seems so lite and easy.

The Rocket is just a thinking mans bike.

Another one from the old guy,if you have a novice pillion who has never been on the back or front seat of a motor cycle just tell them all they have to do to help you corner and feel more secure on the bike is to just turn their head enough to look over your shoulder on the side you are cornering as stated before this makes their body lean slightly into the corner ,this prevents them from trying to hold the bike upright as it feels like it is falling over ,

As far as 'sliding across the seat', you can't really do that with the Rocket, at least not with the stock seat, too plush and conforming to your buttocks. The proper way is to push down on your opposite corner leg (turning right, push down on left leg) so it lifts you off the seat slightly and with your body kinda falling off the bike into the corner, this shifts weight into the corner sticking your contact patch and helps to pull the bike over, add counter steering and head turning, hit the apex and throttle up as you exit while evening out leg pressure and centering your butt back on the seat.

4 cents given, that is all. :):):):)

Just do what comes naturally I guess...when you become one with your bike it just happens!...Different bikes breed different reactions i'm thinking...and for the record...some of the ladies I know are awesome Riders/drivers...(had to put that right so I didn't look like a chauvinist!)

Since dropping to a 140/75R17 front tire and a 240/55R16 rear the handling of the Rocket X has greatly improved. I can only speculate how it will handle with the Progressive 444's and improved springs in the forks. Got a filling it will improve handling. Really not that bad for a bike that weighs close to 800 pounds.:whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

I guess I just ride the thing like any other motorcycle. Overthinking it is probably worse I've seen dudes try to over correct things and it didn't end well. I have a friend I rIde with who has a Honda CB1100 and he has a hard time just letting go and riding the bike he is a bit of a control freak and can't let go. When I hop on that little bike I feel like I'm on a moped I can fly thru the curves!

Back