Controlling the Rocket III

1K9

No'mo Rocket 4 me
Ride
Honda CB1100
Do you use your core to control the rocket? Which major groups of muscles do you feel you are using when turning at medium speed?

Lately have been crunching while turning. It seems to make my turns smoother.

The only time I can tell that I am using my core is during hard acc.

When on the Dragon I try to keep as loose as I can to slide left and right on hard turns. Then back to the back when slowing down hard before the turn starts, then shift my weight to the inside of the turn.........AND never chicken out in a hard turn!!!!

It is better to loose the front or rear grip than to try to stand the bike upright in the curve.....or even worse....to high side that dang thing

PS.....Pray that nothing is coming in the other lane.......and Always stay in your lane

Do you use your core to control the rocket? Which major groups of muscles do you feel you are using when turning at medium speed?

Lately have been crunching while turning. It seems to make my turns smoother.

At first I thought this was a trick question:eek: anything over 8-10mph use your body to control the bike just like riding a pushbike, if you are having to counter weight on the dragon get your speed up you are going to slow, no turns on the dragon where you should have to.
And as Joey said stay in your own lane.

When leaning your body into a turn you counter steer automatically as your weight shifts you naturally place weight on that side handgrip or you would slide of the seat , you also ever so slightly pull back on the opposite hand grip you will know this if for some strange reason you attempt to take a corner at speed with the hand on the opposite side of the curve , the instructor at an advanced riding course many years ago told us when cornering a motor cycle at speed you are actually forcing the bike to fall over on that side but centrifugal force keeps the bike from falling so it continues in an arc in the direction of the fall ,made sense to me

I try to use all major groups.

At the end of my rides I've gotten back into spending 10-15 min doing low speed sharp figure eights and tight circles in an open parking lot. Fun and a great control drill. I think it helps a lot at any speed.

The only time I can tell that I am using my core is during hard acc.

When on the Dragon I try to keep as loose as I can to slide left and right on hard turns. Then back to the back when slowing down hard before the turn starts, then shift my weight to the inside of the turn.........AND never chicken out in a hard turn!!!!

It is better to loose the front or rear grip than to try to stand the bike upright in the curve.....or even worse....to high side that dang thing

PS.....Pray that nothing is coming in the other lane.......and Always stay in your lane

I have been shifting my weight as I have gained confidence on the bike. Now, when I shift, let's say to the left I am pulling the bike with the right hand and leaning forward in a firm crunch. This reduces any wobble in the turn and seems to stabilize me through the turn. On the way out, some throttle, if too slow, smooth out the power with the clutch. The thing is that this bike requires firm input/control through the turns.

When leaning your body into a turn you counter steer automatically as your weight shifts you naturally place weight on that side handgrip or you would slide of the seat , you also ever so slightly pull back on the opposite hand grip you will know this if for some strange reason you attempt to take a corner at speed with the hand on the opposite side of the curve , the instructor at an advanced riding course many years ago told us when cornering a motor cycle at speed you are actually forcing the bike to fall over on that side but centrifugal force keeps the bike from falling so it continues in an arc in the direction of the fall ,made sense to me

The R3 does not want to stay in the arc. It takes a firm core to chest effort for me to feel smooth.

That is where my riding skills has gone to pot....I am still unsteady doing slow turns and fig. 8's

Ken....You are absolutely right...

When you go into a sharp right hand turn at speed...you shift your weight to the right of center of the bike, this puts your right hand closer to the handle bar and the left farther away which causes you to auto counter steer...Then the harder you lean the bike the more you shift to the right of center of the m/c. With your weight below the center of the bike.....your weights puts more load on to the tires causing them to grip the surface better.

One major thing is to know your tires.....only very soft rubber compound can lean to extreme angles and must be at the best operating temperatures. Our Road tires can only grip so good due to the longer mileage harder compounds. That is one main reason professional Road racers only get about 40 miles out of a tire at its best performance.

Back