Cleaning the wheels

Just wondering - did you look at post #42 in this thread???

I saw it and acknowledged it,sometimes I like to read the label and ask the shop keepers opinion.
Ive got my wheels up to an acceptaple shine with what Ive got,so Ill see how it goes for a while.

From reading the labels on these wheel polishers,they seem to be divided into 2 main groups.
1 Those that contain abrasive powders
2 Those that contain acids or other chemicals that eat away the stains and corrosions to show bare metal

I saw it and acknowledged it,sometimes I like to read the label and ask the shop keepers opinion.
Ive got my wheels up to an acceptaple shine with what Ive got,so Ill see how it goes for a while.

From reading the labels on these wheel polishers,they seem to be divided into 2 main groups.
1 Those that contain abrasive powders
2 Those that contain acids or other chemicals that eat away the stains and corrosions to show bare metal

Hello fellas, now that's alot of info on cleaning wheels. I see everyone likes there own product but I have used moast spoke of here and on non coated wheels there simply isn't a product that works better than autosol if u put the time into it u can make them look exactly like crome and the stuff is cheep

Hello fellas, now that's alot of info on cleaning wheels. I see everyone likes there own product but I have used moast spoke of here and on non coated wheels there simply isn't a product that works better than autosol if u put the time into it u can make them look exactly like crome and the stuff is cheep
Ok granted Autosol is good but Purple polish will bring them up even better believe me I have tried them all as for the abrasives versa chemicals ..... chemicals still eat in to the metal to remove oxides the beauty of Purple Polish that it just so much finer abrasive than others and I think it has got some deoxidisers in it so it has the best of both worlds in fact I think I might of mentioned somewhere before that if the wheels are in bad shape start with a very fine wet and dry paper then use autosol before finnishing with Purple Polish.... it brings it up almost like chrome... I kid you not.;) :D

Depending how much time and effort a person would want to invest on this project I can offer this. If you just want to work up a decent shine go with the liquid polishes, hand rubbing. Try bug and tar remover for the stuff that sticks.
If a person is inclined to do a complete work up to a chrome like shine as a winter project then the link below has the stuff you need to do the job.
Years ago I stripped off the clear coat on 4 aluminum wheels and buffed them out to a chrome luster. They actually looked chrome but it took some time. I started out with an electric drill ( wore it out) then changed to a die grinder.
If done correctly you can even buff out scratches on CD's where they will play again.
I used the different steps of buffing compound and Jewelers Rouge and three different buffing wheels.
Buffing Compound - Auto Buffing, Polishing Compound

buffing wheels
Buffing Wheel Rake - Buffing wheels for Drill

I have had to use purple polish twice and the wheels look great. I can see that after about 2 or 3 more times then the wheels will only need regular polish about every 3 months to maintain.

First thing I do is put the bike on my Paddock Stand (so the wheels rotate without fiddling around too much)(I'm old and not a contortionist). The I use DuPont fine rubbing compound with a clean rag to buff 'em up and finish with a wipe of silicone spray (on a rag so it don't contaminate the brake pads). Takes about 15 minutes for the whole year.

If I feel real energetic, I sling the bike in machinery chokers and lift it with the shop crane to a comfortable height so I can clean the sump plate and underside sitting on a stool

Not everyone has an overhead crane however.:D

If I feel real energetic, I sling the bike in machinery chokers and lift it with the shop crane to a comfortable height so I can clean the sump plate and underside sitting on a stool

Not everyone has an overhead crane however.:D
You didnt have to rub it in.:rolleyes:

Back