Changing fuel filter

I kind of like removing the tank. This way you can flush the tank and get rid of the junk accumulated in the tank. :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::whitstling:

Hadn't thought of that. Do you use something special? Do you pour through the bottom hatch with the tank cap closed and swish it around with the tank upside down then pour out through the bottom or some other way? How do you dispose of the flushing agent?

Thanks.

Did you, will you, use the same hoses that were on the old filter?

Thanks,

VRs

PS If I do the filter change......while I'm in there...... anyone have suggestions on a fix to make my faulty gas gauge read full when full and empty when empty......right now it reads full when full and empty when still half full.....????? Maybe an adjustment to the float arm? Thanks.

Buy a wix filter (like 12 bucks) comes with new hoses and clamps and cheaper than buying and cutting your hoses and clamps separately!! Throw out the wix filter when done!

Buy a wix filter (like 12 bucks) comes with new hoses and clamps and cheaper than buying and cutting your hoses and clamps separately!! Throw out the wix filter when done!

That's exactly what I did a couple days ago, ordered the compatible WIX filter via Amazon, under 6 bucks with hoses and clamps, also ordered the compatible NAPA filter with 2 hoses and clamps for under 10 bucks. I thought I might need more hoses and clamps than the two coming with the NAPA.....thus the WIX order.

Thanks for validating I am not alone in the Universe of over-ordering paranoids. :D:rolleyes::laugh::thumbsup:

Hadn't thought of that. Do you use something special? Do you pour through the bottom hatch with the tank cap closed and swish it around with the tank upside down then pour out through the bottom or some other way? How do you dispose of the flushing agent?

Thanks.
I just pour all the gas out though the bottom. Then blow dry with compressed air. Cleans it up and removes all the #rap. We have really bad gas quality here in Oklahoma. :(:(:(:(

After 86, 000 I finally replaced my fuel filter with an aftermarket one ($14.00-Amazon). My fuel lines were still soft and supple. I DID NOT replace the bottom gasket (pump assembly to fuel tank). I did not replace the gross particle filter on the end of the pickup tube, either. Removing the fuel tank and inverting it makes it much easier to remove the bigger chunks of debris that ends up in the tank. Removal of the sender/pump assembly is made easier if you fashion a small wire hook to pull up on the float wire and help guide it through the opening. This is not a difficult job, so long as you are comfortable working on your own machine. Lay the inverted tank into a "nest" of soft material to keep it steady and to keep it from getting scratched.

After 86, 000 I finally replaced my fuel filter with an aftermarket one ($14.00-Amazon). My fuel lines were still soft and supple. I DID NOT replace the bottom gasket (pump assembly to fuel tank). I did not replace the gross particle filter on the end of the pickup tube, either. Removing the fuel tank and inverting it makes it much easier to remove the bigger chunks of debris that ends up in the tank. Removal of the sender/pump assembly is made easier if you fashion a small wire hook to pull up on the float wire and help guide it through the opening. This is not a difficult job, so long as you are comfortable working on your own machine. Lay the inverted tank into a "nest" of soft material to keep it steady and to keep it from getting scratched.

I'm waiting for a new pump plate gasket and sender unit before tackling the filter change. Hoping I can adjust the existing sender to read accurately or will put new unit in......and pray it is accurate. Anyway, question, my generic/Touring model shop manual says to replace "sealing" washer after removing "fuel pipe" from, "fuel pump plate". Is that what you did or did you leave the fuel pipe in place and just remove the fuel hose?

Thanks! :)

Back