Changing fuel filter

Be very careful installing into tank if you bend it will not read right. Also make sure you replace the gasket around the mounting plate. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Okay, I've ordered the 'toilet bowl thing', NAPA filter with hoses and the mounting plate gasket. Any clues, suggestions how to fish the whole enchilada out of the tank are appreciated. Can it be done with the tank elevated or should I plan to entirely remove the tank?

Thanks.

I wouldn't think it possible, without completely removing the tank, and setting it upside down on a blanket, etc. Of course after draining all the gas.

I wouldn't think it possible, without completely removing the tank, and setting it upside down on a blanket, etc. Of course after draining all the gas.

Okay, will do, thanks......oh hey.......manual says to rotate gauges forward in order to raise tank. My manual(might be for a Touring) shows a cover over handlebar clamps with a couple screws to be removed. My bike, '06 Classic, is different. The top half of the handlebar clamp has a small squarish shaped piece that has snapped upwards at the forward edge when I pressed on it. Is there a screw underneath to loosen the gauges? If so, how do I remove that small cover?

Thanks.

I fiddled with the chrome cap and got it off after seeing the back edge was being held tight by the gauge harness. Now I see there are two bolts holding the gauge bracket down on top of the handlebar clamps.

Mark the two hoses that connect under the tank. If you mix them up it is a headache. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:

Yes, I saw those vent hoses in a YouTube video about Rocket spark plug change and had your thought exactly. Thanks.

Okay, I've ordered the 'toilet bowl thing', NAPA filter with hoses and the mounting plate gasket. Any clues, suggestions how to fish the whole enchilada out of the tank are appreciated. Can it be done with the tank elevated or should I plan to entirely remove the tank?

Thanks.

I did mine last year before a trip down south and it was easy enough just raising the tank. Just be gentle and don't force anything and you should manage ok. I have removed the air tract from under the tank though, it's been so long I can't remember if that would make a difference...

I did mine last year before a trip down south and it was easy enough just raising the tank. Just be gentle and don't force anything and you should manage ok. I have removed the air tract from under the tank though, it's been so long I can't remember if that would make a difference...

Coincidentally I am trying to figure out if I should install a Ram-air intake kit or go K&N filters while I am messing with the tank, Bearclaw, etc. What did you do? I do not have a tuner and frankly not interested in getting into the tuning world just yet. If I go with RamAir or K&N type intake filters will I need to tune the bike via a tuner?

Thanks.

PS I recently saw a YouTube video showing a guy removing his Ramair kit because it was too noisy and he decided it was "bad" for his bike because it sucked in too much moisture.....huh?????? Are RamAir's or K&N's more noisy than stock?

Coincidentally I am trying to figure out if I should install a Ram-air intake kit or go K&N filters while I am messing with the tank, Bearclaw, etc. What did you do? I do not have a tuner and frankly not interested in getting into the tuning world just yet. If I go with RamAir or K&N type intake filters will I need to tune the bike via a tuner?

Thanks.

PS I recently saw a YouTube video showing a guy removing his Ramair kit because it was too noisy and he decided it was "bad" for his bike because it sucked in too much moisture.....huh?????? Are RamAir's or K&N's more noisy than stock?

I guess the choice between k&n and ramair comes down to personal preference, both will breath better than stock, and you may notice an increase in induction noise. It's not a bad noise in my opinion, I like it. I chose the ramair as it is a nice fit under the bearclaw and had provision for the air temp sensor. For a stock engine I doubt there will be a noticeable difference in performance between the two.
I reckon the best bang for buck you can spend on any bike is a dyno tune, I've had a few done now and the tune has by far made more difference than any of the bolt on stuff by itself. Of course you would be best doing any of the mods you wanted to do prior to spending your money on a tune to take full advantage. If you were interested there is a very handy fellow on here by the name of Hanso who could help you out with a downloadable tune. He helped me out alot with a tune to get my bike safely down to the dyno tuner I wanted to use.
Yeah I've seen that video myself, I wouldn't take the moisture claim to seriously, the only thing I think worth considering is avoid hosing the filter directly when washing your bike, you don't want water pooling anywhere it shouldn't. If running no bearclaw i wouldn't leave it out in the rain for the same reason. Rain while riding no issue I can see.

Back