Fuel filter renewal

Oldman68

.020 Over
Ride
2012 Rocket Roadster Red Haze
Over the winter months I'm going to replace the fuel filter for my 2012 Roadster, I was amazed at the price of a genuine triumph filter £48.41 + £18.37 for a new seal. The seal I will get from Triumph as I don't think you can get a pattern part plus I don't want leaks over a hot engine (BOOM) but as for the filter has anyone used a Mahle filter KL 145 as I can get one for a 1/3rd of the price of a genuine Triumph here in the UK.

Over the winter months I'm going to replace the fuel filter for my 2012 Roadster, I was amazed at the price of a genuine triumph filter £48.41 + £18.37 for a new seal. The seal I will get from Triumph as I don't think you can get a pattern part plus I don't want leaks over a hot engine (BOOM) but as for the filter has anyone used a Mahle filter KL 145 as I can get one for a 1/3rd of the price of a genuine Triumph here in the UK.

Oh yes. There are very slight dimensional differences between them, not enough to notice by eye really, but Mahle is a top quality OEM spec filter brand used by a lot of top manufacturers.

1702661171726.png

And right now upgraded to a Mahle KL 60 from an Audi RS6. But that's just for my engine, this is complete overkill for a standard and won't fit either without mods. This pic below is just for info.

1702661263378.png

Hi. Just looking at the 1st pic there is a slight difference as you said but are the inlet/outlet tubes the same dim as the Mahle look slightly smaller, if so will that affect flow at high demand !!.

One small bit of advice. If the Roadster is anything like the Touring and the tank bottom plate is held on with multiple small nuts you need to be very careful when tightening them down, I found out the hard way that going to the recommended torque in the service manual resulted in a couple of snapped studs. It is an fairly easy fix but does require purging the tank and doing some welding. Now I just tighten and snug by feel.

bob

Hi. Just looking at the 1st pic there is a slight difference as you said but are the inlet/outlet tubes the same dim as the Mahle look slightly smaller, if so will that affect flow at high demand !!.

Probably just the angle of the camera. My measurements;

Mahle KL 145
Body length 57.9mm
Diameter 49.9mm
Tubes 8.0mm OD, 5.5mm ID

Triumph T1240850
Body length 58.2mm
Diameter 54.4mm
Tubes 8.0mm OD, 5.4mm ID

The filters are good for 265+ wheel on the Rocket anyway, never heard of the filter ever being a restriction nor anyone going with a bigger filter and there are some high hp Rockets out there. Although they do move to higher flow/pressure pumps when going big, perhaps the pressure drop across the filter for high hp applications is compensated for by the big boy pump and nobody notices a filter issue, or maybe it's negligible, I don't know.

I did mine last year and used the Mahle filter because it was cheaper. I notice it did not fit the same as the stock filter as there was a size difference. The inlet/outlets did not line up the same. I did get it installed, but it would have been easier had it matched up the same. I also found and bought some fuel hose that could survive inside the tank. It seems there was also a tie that holds the filter, but I don't recall what I did about that. Gasoline can affect some hoses and plastics. I have not had any issues, so I guess whatever I did is working. On another note, I also replace all my cooling system hoses and antifreeze. This year I am going to exchange the brake fluid. I'm just trying to keep up with regular maintenance. I'm a little worried about parts, so maybe it's time to think about selling my bike.

I did mine last year and used the Mahle filter because it was cheaper. I notice it did not fit the same as the stock filter as there was a size difference. The inlet/outlets did not line up the same. I did get it installed, but it would have been easier had it matched up the same. I also found and bought some fuel hose that could survive inside the tank. It seems there was also a tie that holds the filter, but I don't recall what I did about that. Gasoline can affect some hoses and plastics. I have not had any issues, so I guess whatever I did is working. On another note, I also replace all my cooling system hoses and antifreeze. This year I am going to exchange the brake fluid. I'm just trying to keep up with regular maintenance. I'm a little worried about parts, so maybe it's time to think about selling my bike.
Hi. When you said didn't line up was it that the inlet/outlet are not the same dim as the original Triumph filter i.e smaller dim !. As for what you said about doing your own servicing I do what I can myself then let a dealership carry out important stuff, they checked the 20,000 mile valve clearance last year that cost £240.00 for the check only + new caskets this year, they quoted 1hrs labour per valve if each had to be adjusted (Ouch). The brake fluid as the Roadster has ABS and you need it connected to a Triumph software to open up the ABS to bleed it that cost £90.00. I done the coolant myself this year, you can see why so many motorcyclist don't really know or check these things out prior buying there dream machine as most dealerships charge £100.00 per hr. To do a 20,000 service I was quoted £960.00 2 years ago.

Hi. When you said didn't line up was it that the inlet/outlet are not the same dim as the original Triumph filter i.e smaller dim !. As for what you said about doing your own servicing I do what I can myself then let a dealership carry out important stuff, they checked the 20,000 mile valve clearance last year that cost £240.00 for the check only + new caskets this year, they quoted 1hrs labour per valve if each had to be adjusted (Ouch). The brake fluid as the Roadster has ABS and you need it connected to a Triumph software to open up the ABS to bleed it that cost £90.00. I done the coolant myself this year, you can see why so many motorcyclist don't really know or check these things out prior buying there dream machine as most dealerships charge £100.00 per hr. To do a 20,000 service I was quoted £960.00 2 years ago.
The inlet and outlets were the same diameter. I can't remember exactly what the problem was...it was either the slight size difference of the filters or one if the inlets/outlets were angled slightly. Anyway, it will work. I had purchased the gas tank gasket and a valve cover gasket well in advance knowing I might use them at some point in time. I don't believe you need the service software to simply bleed the brakes unless the ABS modulator has been serviced or has trapped air. I bought some software call, I think "Dealer Service Tool". I have never used it. If I am reading the manual correctly, you bleed the brakes the same as a non ABS bike. The manual speaks about using the tool/software to remove trapped air. Sounds like a pain. I prefer not to think about the valve clearance check at 20,000. I think I will continue to run it for a bit beyond that point. I'm about 5,000 short at the moment. Definitely thinking about selling my bike sometime this summer or trading it off for something different. Love the bike, but at 76 it is a little heavy for me at walking speed. I'm getting a little concerned about parts and the bike being an orphan.

The inlet and outlets were the same diameter. I can't remember exactly what the problem was...it was either the slight size difference of the filters or one if the inlets/outlets were angled slightly. Anyway, it will work. I had purchased the gas tank gasket and a valve cover gasket well in advance knowing I might use them at some point in time. I don't believe you need the service software to simply bleed the brakes unless the ABS modulator has been serviced or has trapped air. I bought some software call, I think "Dealer Service Tool". I have never used it. If I am reading the manual correctly, you bleed the brakes the same as a non ABS bike. The manual speaks about using the tool/software to remove trapped air. Sounds like a pain. I prefer not to think about the valve clearance check at 20,000. I think I will continue to run it for a bit beyond that point. I'm about 5,000 short at the moment. Definitely thinking about selling my bike sometime this summer or trading it off for something different. Love the bike, but at 76 it is a little heavy for me at walking speed. I'm getting a little concerned about parts and the bike being an orphan.
Hi. I believe that you need to bleed in/out of the ABS as it needs refreshing like the rest of the system other wise its a waste of time doing the replacement as its a closed circuit until the ABS cut in.

Hi. I believe that you need to bleed in/out of the ABS as it needs refreshing like the rest of the system other wise its a waste of time doing the replacement as its a closed circuit until the ABS cut in.
I would think a partial exchange would be better than nothing. I don't know what percent it would be. I think the triumph software opens the ABS up for 90 seconds. It has to cool between cycles or you can damage the ABS modulator. 😱 I'll have to hookup the laptop this summer and see how it works and what it will do. I need to check the balance on the throttle bodies as well

Back