Changing fuel filter

...no, on either side of the "banjo fitting" there are thin aluminum (aluminium for the Brits amongst us). The manual says to replace them...I've reused mine over and over, never a leak.

...no, on either side of the "banjo fitting" there are thin aluminum (aluminium for the Brits amongst us). The manual says to replace them...I've reused mine over and over, never a leak.

Sorry......easily confused......not the sharpest tool in the shed. Sounds like you do remove the fuel pipe instead of the fuel hose line.....is that right? If so, is the fuel flow still cut off when removing the, "fuel pipe/banjo fitting"?

Thanks!

Sorry......easily confused......not the sharpest tool in the shed. Sounds like you do remove the fuel pipe instead of the fuel hose line.....is that right? If so, is the fuel flow still cut off when removing the, "fuel pipe/banjo fitting"?

Thanks!
You need to siphon out as much fuel as possible, then raise remove 18mm banjo bolt fitting bolt. The banjo fitting is a round fitting with a through hole at the end of the fuel line (can roughly resembling a banjo, hence the name). The bolt is hollow, allowing the fuel in the line to flow through the fitting and the bolt.

You need to siphon out as much fuel as possible, then raise remove 18mm banjo bolt fitting bolt. The banjo fitting is a round fitting with a through hole at the end of the fuel line (can roughly resembling a banjo, hence the name). The bolt is hollow, allowing the fuel in the line to flow through the fitting and the bolt.

Okay, somewhere I read that removing the fuel line automatically shuts off the fuel flow from tank but you need to be prepared to catch any fuel in the line(s). First I'll try to just remove the fuel hose instead of the "fuel pipe/banjo" thingamajiggy. Thanks!

PS Yes, of course, I will remove as much fuel from tank as I can first.

Okay, somewhere I read that removing the fuel line automatically shuts off the fuel flow from tank but you need to be prepared to catch any fuel in the line(s). First I'll try to just remove the fuel hose instead of the "fuel pipe/banjo" thingamajiggy. Thanks!
It helps if the tank is empty as possible

PS Yes, of course, I will remove as much fuel from tank as I can

You can't do anything without removing the banjo bolt and disconnecting the fuel line. Internal check valve will prevent fuel from pouring out once the line is removed, but several tablespoons will spill out .
It helps if the tank is empty because it is lighter and easier to manipulate. While you can remove the pump/sending unit without removing the tank, it is a much easier job if you do, and an empty tank is a lighter tank. Also, with the tank out and inverted you will be able to remove the debris that is no doubt sloshing around inside.

After 86, 000 I finally replaced my fuel filter with an aftermarket one ($14.00-Amazon). My fuel lines were still soft and supple. I DID NOT replace the bottom gasket (pump assembly to fuel tank). I did not replace the gross particle filter on the end of the pickup tube, either. Removing the fuel tank and inverting it makes it much easier to remove the bigger chunks of debris that ends up in the tank. Removal of the sender/pump assembly is made easier if you fashion a small wire hook to pull up on the float wire and help guide it through the opening. This is not a difficult job, so long as you are comfortable working on your own machine. Lay the inverted tank into a "nest" of soft material to keep it steady and to keep it from getting scratched.

John I need my fuel filter changed on my victory u think u can do it :whitstling::whitstling::whitstling::sick::D:D:D:D

I did a couple by removing the line from the banjo fitting, no problem. Messing with the banjo might wind up with a leak, if you don't replace the washers.

I would not do it that way myself. Yes we replaced the washers and the gasket each time we have replaced the fuel filter. Odds on it leaking if you do not use new stuff very slim, Odds on having a a leak replacing all the above NONE. :inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove:inlove

So I just did mine yesterday. Easiest way I could find was:

Lift tank at 1/2 or a little less full. Remove rubber line from fuel rail, drain excess fuel into small bottle. Unbolt tank. Stand tank so the front of the tank is is highest point.

Remove the bolts holding in the plate and gently remove the assembly. Remove two bolts. Unplug pump.

Remove 5 clamps, fuel filter and pump.

When reassembling adjust the filter as close as possible to the pressure regulator. Reuse all stock hoses and steel line between pump and filter.

Install Walbro using all stock components besides the pump. It does fit , just requires some... convincing.

Enjoy never worrying about your pump again.

The 342 pump is MUCH louder than the stock pump when you key on, once you hear it you’ll always be able to identify when a rocket has a Walbro 342 installed.

Back