Changing fuel filter

Stocker runs out of flow at or about 240whp, mentioned by Nev a few times and I saw it for myself both on the dyno and felt it on the street.

If anyone comes across a similar sized pump that can be mounted "externally" please PM me a link. I have a car pump on my low rider now. It works, but has way too much volume which requires a large by-pass line from the regulator.

Well,now that I am ready to perform surgery with new gaskets, washers, hoses, filter and new sender, etc........ I guess I shouldn't be too surprised I can't figure out how to remove the electrical plug from the bottom of the tank. Simple stuff, no doubt, but I cannot get that sucker unplugged. White connector part permanently attached to the tank, black part with wires plugged into the white part. Press lock tab on bottom of black part to presumably unlock the black part from the white part but nothing will budge. I can't get a grip on the black part with my fat fingers. Is there another lock that I am missing? Tempted to use pliers and screwdriver to pry these connectors apart but I'm sure that would not meet with your approval. Your help, again, will be greatly appreciated. :banghead::thumbsdown:o_O:(

Thanks,

VR

So I just did mine yesterday. Easiest way I could find was:

Lift tank at 1/2 or a little less full. Remove rubber line from fuel rail, drain excess fuel into small bottle. Unbolt tank. Stand tank so the front of the tank is is highest point.

Remove the bolts holding in the plate and gently remove the assembly. Remove two bolts. Unplug pump.

Remove 5 clamps, fuel filter and pump.

When reassembling adjust the filter as close as possible to the pressure regulator. Reuse all stock hoses and steel line between pump and filter.

Install Walbro using all stock components besides the pump. It does fit , just requires some... convincing.

Enjoy never worrying about your pump again.

The 342 pump is MUCH louder than the stock pump when you key on, once you hear it you’ll always be able to identify when a rocket has a Walbro 342 installed.

No pictures of the install

Well,now that I am ready to perform surgery with new gaskets, washers, hoses, filter and new sender, etc........ I guess I shouldn't be too surprised I can't figure out how to remove the electrical plug from the bottom of the tank. Simple stuff, no doubt, but I cannot get that sucker unplugged. White connector part permanently attached to the tank, black part with wires plugged into the white part. Press lock tab on bottom of black part to presumably unlock the black part from the white part but nothing will budge. I can't get a grip on the black part with my fat fingers. Is there another lock that I am missing? Tempted to use pliers and screwdriver to pry these connectors apart but I'm sure that would not meet with your approval. Your help, again, will be greatly appreciated. :banghead::thumbsdown:o_O:(

Thanks,

You have to make sure you have the tab all the way in if I remember correctly I used a screwdriver to push it all the way in and pull with the other hand
VR

"You have to make sure you have the tab all the way in if I remember correctly I used a screwdriver to push it all the way in and pull with the other hand."

Yup, have tried that, no go......but that's probably the problem or part of it. Just can't figure a way to make that lock tab release. Thanks. Hoping someone knows how to muscle that sucker apart before I break it out of desperation.

EUREKA! OH JOY!! Finally got that sucker apart. Think I'll take a couple days off to re-energize. As I predicted in my pea sized brain....... it took a dental pick jammed up into the inner sanctum of the lock tab plus the jaws of your average pair of pliers to grip the black connector half......bada bing, bada boom........it came apart! Good grief, now I am afraid of other more complicated problems I will encounter.......but I have a bottle of Irish whiskey going for me so I won't give up easily. :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup: Thanks again rainman! Stand by ....please.

Thanks,

VR

For the record, I reused the gasket on the tank plate, no issues, no leaks, it, as well as the in tank hoses, were still soft and pliable 4 years and 7 months after manufacture of the bike.

Back