Bollocks - Transmission failure.

Well in that case she has practically volunteered to help
My point exactly. Nut now torqued and peened shut.

Had to run out for Oil and Anti-Freeze which lost me an hour. Clutch modified with the @R-III-R Turbo @warp9.9 50mm bolt mod.

Engine now closed up. Clutch lever/cable/ bar lever refitted - Clutch tested/adjusted - works. Could have done more but decided I want to got out for lunch. And Mrs B. is driving so I wont be doing much wrenching after.

A word of advice to anybody following this. When you push the front cover back on have a bolt or two to hand; or the lever arm tension will push it back off (unless you opt to do teh @warp9.9 external spring mod). Mrs B. to the rescue again.

So - This AM I have refitted the Rad with the SAMCO HOSES. No doubt at all the SAMCO's are way more flexible, which makes it all simpler. Getting the rad onto the lower mounts had me swearing - and I shredded my hands on the chrome grill (I don't like using gloves you see). I hope R3's like blood in the coolant.

Filled with oil - New Antifreeze with DEI Radiator Relief. But flushed it all over with water as the Antifreeze is that florescent yellow colour. See if we have any drips on the floor tomorrow AM. Still have to bleed the cooling system. Had to stop as we have visitors for lunch.

Other than having to do all this for a pissy little spring it's no big deal. But a bench would make it all MUCH MUCH easier - my back is killing me. So would having eyes that focus at less than a yard. Tomorrow it'll be running.

So - This AM I have refitted the Rad with the SAMCO HOSES. No doubt at all the SAMCO's are way more flexible, which makes it all simpler. Getting the rad onto the lower mounts had me swearing - and I shredded my hands on the chrome grill (I don't like using gloves you see). I hope R3's like blood in the coolant.

Filled with oil - New Antifreeze with DEI Radiator Relief. But flushed it all over with water as the Antifreeze is that florescent yellow colour. See if we have any drips on the floor tomorrow AM. Still have to bleed the cooling system. Had to stop as we have visitors for lunch.

Other than having to do all this for a pissy little spring it's no big deal. But a bench would make it all MUCH MUCH easier - my back is killing me. So would having eyes that focus at less than a yard. Tomorrow it'll be running.
I was thinking of you yesterday whilst I was packing to leave for the coast.

20181019_131946.jpg

Doesn't hurt to have a spare unless its 1000 miles away :)

I was thinking of you yesterday whilst I was packing to leave for the coast.
Doesn't hurt to have a spare unless its 1000 miles away :)
I'll be honest Scott - I am thinking of looking for a totalled bike for engine spares. Of course if it had lots of yummy upgraded parts that would be a real plus.

Oh look ----
flying-pig-400x350.jpg

See if we have any drips on the floor tomorrow AM. Still have to bleed the cooling system. .
No drips - woohoo - so start engine to bleed air out: a bubble or two.

And then - suddenly - river of yellow from LH side of radiator. Not out of the filler.

Engine off, head in hands. Look up and could see a tiny splatter on the rad just by the upper hose. LOTS of light and I see some bubbles. Loosen clamp - jiggle hose, re-clamp - Flush bike with clean water - fill rad and run again. Woohoo.

Panic over - all reassembled. And that - I hope - is the end of the surgery. Will road test another day. Mrs B. has called "LUNCH!".

Hi, have just bought a 2010 Classic here in New Zealand. I've found occasionally it won't go into 4th from 3rd and fifth from fourth. Thought it might have been my riding style as I've been used to thrashing high revving jap bikes but now I've read a few posts on here, perhaps its the detent spring as many have posted before me? Some are saying its a diy job, others I see say its a major issue. I'm no mechanic so it'll have to go into the shop. Love the bike so far tho.

BOLLOCKS - I have coolant leaking. And It looks as if I need to pull the rad off. It seems to be from the pushfit chrome pipe where it enters the block. Sort of annoying as I've used it since finishing the spring and it did not leak before. More so as I did replace the O-ring.

Last edited:
Back