Best Darkside Review

I start my research with questions and here are some of them. You can answer them for yourself but your answers may be different than mine.

Why do they call one a car tire and the other a motorcycle tire?
Why aren’t any new motorcycles sold with CTs on them?
Why aren’t small cars sold with large MTs on them?
In which motorcycle style of racing or competition do they use CTs?
If CTs are so great why aren’t the majority of riders on them?
How much of what do you loose if you switch to a CT?
What do you gain with a CT?
Is economy my highest concern?

I’ll tell you my answer to the last one. If my answer was yes I’d better sell all my bikes, guns and watches.

I won’t dispute this with anyone since it will come to nought. ;)
1. There is no such thing as a car tyre - it is a passenger vehicle tyre - it says so on the side of the tyre (or tire)
2. Some new motorcycles are sold with passenger vehicle tyres on them. They may be trikes, but from a legal point (which is what counts) they are motorcycles. Some also have sidecars.
3. It is illegal to put a motorcycle tyre on a car, but not illegal to put a passenger vehicle tyre on a motorcycle - which is a passenger vehicle from a legal standpoint.
4. Which racing tyres are legal, or use-able in a practical way, on the street?
5. Personal choice - although on small bikes or sport bikes they would be no where near as good as they are on heavier cruising or touring bikes.
6. More counter-steer required.
7. 6 times the mileage at 1/3 the cost - 1800% improvement. btw, if you are riding around bendy roads near the extreme of the grip of a DS tyre then you are riding at WELL over the speed limit - at least that has been my experience.
8. No.

but then again, I have only 130,000 miles of riding including canyon carving in Colorado, the Mojave Dessert in summer, snow, rain, touring, and just about all other conditions, on the DS so am probably not experienced enough to comment.

But then again, " no" motorcycles use professional racing tires on the street. But many use motorcycle tires and mid controls.

1. There is no such thing as a car tyre - it is a passenger vehicle tyre - it says so on the side of the tyre (or tire)
2. Some new motorcycles are sold with passenger vehicle tyres on them. They may be trikes, but from a legal point (which is what counts) they are motorcycles. Some also have sidecars.
3. It is illegal to put a motorcycle tyre on a car, but not illegal to put a passenger vehicle tyre on a motorcycle - which is a passenger vehicle from a legal standpoint.
4. Which racing tyres are legal, or use-able in a practical way, on the street?
5. Personal choice - although on small bikes or sport bikes they would be no where near as good as they are on heavier cruising or touring bikes.
6. More counter-steer required.
7. 6 times the mileage at 1/3 the cost - 1800% improvement. btw, if you are riding around bendy roads near the extreme of the grip of a DS tyre then you are riding at WELL over the speed limit - at least that has been my experience.
8. No.

but then again, I have only 130,000 miles of riding including canyon carving in Colorado, the Mojave Dessert in summer, snow, rain, touring, and just about all other conditions, on the DS so am probably not experienced enough to comment.
AND bet you did it all on only one rear CAR TIRE

@idk Ian,
Google this, "What is a passenger vehicle"?
Also this, "Is a motorcycle a passenger vehicle?"

I agree whole heartedly that it is personal choice-period. It is indeed much less expensive and offers fewer inconvenient tire changes.
If saving money is one's criteria, why not give up your helmet and save another several hundred dollars? (joke!)

But then again, " no" motorcycles use professional racing tires on the street.
Oh I think they do! - Maybe not SLICKS but I know guys who fit Racing Wets for road use. I'm not implying at makes any difference - but they all do track days as well and say they they can tell.

I am old (school) - Chicken Strips mean I still have a safety margin.

Last edited:
@idk Ian,
Google this, "What is a passenger vehicle"?
Also this, "Is a motorcycle a passenger vehicle?"

Here this is VERY easy to ascertain. A M/C is registered as either SOLO (which from factory are rare) or TWO-SEAT (to allow carrying a passenger). A sidecar outfit has to be RE-REGISTERRED as such.
A second seat added to a solo violates the conditions of road certification.
That said I have heard of no instances where the police hace bothered (or noticed)

You WILL FAIL an Mot if a two seater has only one seat or missing rear pegs at MoT. Must also have a grabrail or strap for passenger.

It has insurance liability connotations too. A solo vehicle will not get passenger insurance.

Back