Avon 140/75x17 front first ride

Ugg, "TIRES" a very sore spot! I just spent $495.00 (J&P) for a set of Avons, stock size front and rear for one of my 2005 Rockets. I like them, but am paranoid over any little thing I see in the road. I have had 3 rear flats on my 2013 Roadster, 2 Metzler, 1 Bridgstone. I tried going to a car tire, but didn't like the handling. I now have an Excedra Max on the rear and an Avon Cobra 150, on the 2013. Why are motorcycle tires so much more expensive than car tires?

Frankly it’s mostly....greed.

I don’t believe for a second they spend any more time on R&D or testing, manufacture time and materials can’t be THAT different so it leaves one thing, what will the market bear?

Feel bad for you guys overseas, tires are cheap here, 105 for front and 160 rear, shipped.

I think it's most likely volume, they just don't make as many MC tires as car tires. Plus MC tires seem to be more high performance tires, and have to run on their sidewalls, price high performance tires for a car some time. No logical reason MC tire makers would be more greedy than car tire manufacturers (mostly the same companies anyway). If it was that simple, someone would cave and undercut price, and the rest would have to follow.

Well, there are some rather, let's say, "inexpensive" motorcycle tires out there if you search, but I have not had very good luck with them. On one of my Harledy's, they are fine, but nothing I'd go over 100 mph with, for sure. I guess it's the old saying, "you get what you pay for", or at least that's what you hope for.

I just had a Michelin Commander II 140/75R17 installed. It costs more than the Avon, but I have always gotten good mileage from Commander IIs on other bikes with no noticeable loss of traction in corners. The quick, 2 mile jaunt home through some longish 60-70mph sweepers turned in nice and easy. Props to the guys that did the homework on tire ratios... @1olbull...

Now the Excedra Max, I am not liking it. I can feel the ABS pulse quite often on nicely paved roads with no sand or pebbles. I think Avon may be next on the rear of mine. Or one of the 18" rims from Germany and a different tire.

I just had a Michelin Commander II 140/75R17 installed. It costs more than the Avon, but I have always gotten good mileage from Commander IIs on other bikes with no noticeable loss of traction in corners. The quick, 2 mile jaunt home through some longish 60-70mph sweepers turned in nice and easy. Props to the guys that did the homework on tire ratios... @1olbull...

Now the Excedra Max, I am not liking it. I can feel the ABS pulse quite often on nicely paved roads with no sand or pebbles. I think Avon may be next on the rear of mine. Or one of the 18" rims from Germany and a different tire.

Actually so found the same behavior from the Max. Easier to initiate ABS action, so seemingly less braking traction than the Avon, but, I’ve also found it has much better grip in the wet under power. The Avon was a practice session every ride in “how to drift” not so much the Max.

I prefer the compromise of less grip braking more grip on throttle because my panic stops are very heavily front brake biased.

Actually so found the same behavior from the Max. Easier to initiate ABS action, so seemingly less braking traction than the Avon, but, I’ve also found it has much better grip in the wet under power. The Avon was a practice session every ride in “how to drift” not so much the Max.

I prefer the compromise of less grip braking more grip on throttle because my panic stops are very heavily front brake biased.

Good info to know about the Avon. I'll stay with the Max for now. Cornering grip is more important than me easing up on the rear brake a little and applying more to the front.

Frankly it’s mostly....greed.

I don’t believe for a second they spend any more time on R&D or testing, manufacture time and materials can’t be THAT different so it leaves one thing, what will the market bear?

Feel bad for you guys overseas, tires are cheap here, 105 for front and 160 rear, shipped.
Please tell me where I can find those tire prices! The cheapest price I found for a rear tire was $230.

Back