RocketmanBristol

Supercharged
Ride
2004 Rocket 3
Taking the front end off to replace the head bearings and fit progressive springs, while its apart I'd like to carry on blacking parts.
If I paint the front legs will they have enough clearance to go back through the yokes (Triple trees to my American readers)! without destroying the fresh paintwork or is this a bad idea, anyone done this on here ?

Mine came coated IMG_0451.JPG No scratches or damage to coating when we pulled them. The white stuff is just dirt and scum.

DO NOT DO THAT!!! Mark exactly where your fork legs position in the yoke and MASK OFF THAT AREA! Leave it bare since it will not show - Don't try to clamp tolerances that tight after adding paint (which is flexible) to the surface :evil: :evil: :evil: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Even then you will scratch up the paint on the upper portion of the forks passing them through the lower yoke :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

DO NOT DO THAT!!! Mark exactly where your fork legs position in the yoke and MASK OFF THAT AREA! Leave it bare since it will not show - Don't try to clamp tolerances that tight after adding paint (which is flexible) to the surface :evil: :evil: :evil: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown: :thumbsdown:

Even then you will scratch up the paint on the upper portion of the forks passing them through the lower yoke :thumbsdown::thumbsdown::thumbsdown:

Ditto. I took the bars off of an old BMW to a shop to have them powder coated. The nitwits didn't mask off the control area and I had to grind it off to get my controls mounted. There is a special tape you can use that is for powder coating I'm told by my local guy.

What would you use there EasTex?

Ditto. I took the bars off of an old BMW to a shop to have them powder coated. The nitwits didn't mask off the control area and I had to grind it off to get my controls mounted. There is a special tape you can use that is for powder coating I'm told by my local guy.

What would you use there EasTex?

If the OP is talking about painting the forks, any automotive masking tape will do - But like you, I would only have them powder coated instead of painted - Powder coating company can mask them at the tape marks provided by you where you mark them. ;)

Back