Avon 140/75x17 front first ride

RacerX74

06 R3
Ride
The Mighty Triumph Rocket lll (06)
Hi Fellas

Tyre Time so I went Avon Cobra's back and front ...these seem to be the common choice and I prefer front and back to match so bit of a no brainer really .
Previously run Metz and never really had a problem with grip BUT did suffer from funky wear on the front .

I did decide to drop down to the 140/75x17 now I know it has a lower load rating but I only ever ride solo and almost never loaded with luggage so hopefully load should not be an issue .

So just back from 100 mile round trip on a what's left of a warm dry UK summer evening ..man its getting dark early already !
Running the new boots in and I have to say dropping the front size would so far seem worth doing .
It a bit like running your bike with under deflated tyre for months and months then pumping them up !!
makes the bike a ALOT more easy to turn especially at lower speeds in fact it dropped in a bit to quick and I ground out the peg half a dozen times .

I did notice a little less stability at speed ( 100+ ) however I think the Avon has a more rounded profile and my old rear was flat in the centre due to wear another bonus my old front must have out of balance above the ton because I can now read my vibration free speedo all the way up to 140 .

So yes so far so good and I should mention the Avon's look pretty cool to .

Last edited:
Only bought the bike in August last year and came with a new set of Metzlers. Find these to be rough and ready but cannot bring myself to dump what is essentially a set of brand new tyres! Got to get my monies worth Mr. Scrooge

I put a new front tire on before Xmas and have ordered a new rear tire at the worlds most southern triumph dealer for next Wednesday.
Was hoping to do another 1500kms / 900miles on it.

But due to a storm the last day or two not sure I will be going down the west coast.

@sleeves Waiting for an update from sleeves as he is riding up this way on Saturday.
As major flooding washouts and slips and trees down.

Yesterday I flagged going anywhere as the weather sucked and temps plummetted. Decided to abandon rally and head up coast as far as I can 800km ride to Wesport from here and it looks rough so going to take it easy. @phar2slo my report will be in end of today

Everyone come to NZ at some stage. One day this, next day storms, washouts and floods, but oh so worth it.
20180131_110230.jpg

Yesterday I flagged going anywhere as the weather sucked and temps plummetted. Decided to abandon rally and head up coast as far as I can 800km ride to Wesport from here and it looks rough so going to take it easy. @phar2slo my report will be in end of today

Everyone come to NZ at some stage. One day this, next day storms, washouts and floods, but oh so worth it.
20180131_110230.jpg

It just looks terrible, must a real test of stamina and endurance to put up with that sort of view :D:D

Hi Fellas

Tyre Time so I went Avon Cobra's back and front ...these seem to be the common choice and I prefer front and back to match so bit of a no brainer really .
Previously run Metz and never really had a problem with grip BUT did suffer from funky wear on the front .

I did decide to drop down to the 140/75x17 now I know it has a lower load rating but I only ever ride solo and almost never loaded with luggage so hopefully load should not be an issue .

So just back from 100 mile round trip on a what's left of a warm dry UK summer evening ..man its getting dark early already !
Running the new boots in and I have to say dropping the front size would so far seem worth doing .
It a bit like running your bike with under deflated tyre for months and months then pumping them up !!
makes the bike a ALOT more easy to turn especially at lower speeds in fact it dropped in a bit to quick and I ground out the peg half a dozen times .

I did notice a little less stability at speed ( 100+ ) however I think the Avon has a more rounded profile and my old rear was flat in the centre due to wear another bonus my old front must have out of balance above the ton because I can now read my vibration free speedo all the way up to 140 .

So yes so far so good and I should mention the Avon's look pretty cool to .

This post has been forwarded to the Essex Constabulary.:p:D

Only bought the bike in August last year and came with a new set of Metzlers. Find these to be rough and ready but cannot bring myself to dump what is essentially a set of brand new tyres! Got to get my monies worth Mr. Scrooge
Yeah don't blame you the Metz is not a bad tyre at all its just the Avon's are little more sports focused

Back