A few questions: next tires ?

You also have a choice of running the battle cruise h50 on the front with the exedra max on the back. I was able to ride the Michelin road 5 150/70/17 rear mounted backwards on the front if Ricks bike. By far oje of the best front tires ive run yet. And so far I'm very partial to tbe battle cruise h50 since I can run a matched set.

I have run Mets front, Excedra Max rear combo - found it to be not so good. The Std Avon Cobra tyres front and back - they were quite good nothing bad to report. Now running Avon Cobra Chromes in standard sizes - outright the best set up for me and my R3 in it's current form. Check out the Chrome tyre review here on the forum don't take my word for it.

You also have a choice of running the battle cruise h50 on the front with the exedra max on the back. I was able to ride the Michelin road 5 150/70/17 rear mounted backwards on the front if Ricks bike. By far oje of the best front tires ive run yet. And so far I'm very partial to tbe battle cruise h50 since I can run a matched set.

I was excited about the Battle Cruise H50 and gave it a try. Handles like a tank on twisties- you have to push the bike over hard to corner. Once over, however, it feels solidly planted. In the end, no better mileage and wore unevenly. I went back to
Dunlop American Elite Front Motorcycle Tire 140/75R-17 (67V)
$165.76

At the rate I go through tires I can't afford Chromes, but everyone who has them seems to love 'em.

I was excited about the Battle Cruise H50 and gave it a try. Handles like a tank on twisties- you have to push the bike over hard to corner. Once over, however, it feels solidly planted. In the end, no better mileage and wore unevenly. I went back to
Dunlop American Elite Front Motorcycle Tire 140/75R-17 (67V)
$165.76

At the rate I go through tires I can't afford Chromes, but everyone who has them seems to love 'em.
Ya I seen that wear on yours. Can't explain why it is and mine aint. Except for the difference in down angle produced by the tall 240/55/16 verses my 240/48/18 rear. Of course I only have 5000 on mine but no flat spots front or back. Can't say to the pushing in the curves because your much more experienced in the twisties than I am.

Ya I seen that wear on yours. Can't explain why it is and mine aint. Except for the difference in down angle produced by the tall 240/55/16 verses my 240/48/18 rear. Of course I only have 5000 on mine but no flat spots front or back. Can't say to the pushing in the curves because your much more experienced in the twisties than I am.

I've only had the one try at the H50, so really shouldn't declare it as a "bad tire" based on my limited experience. But, I did notice right away after mounting it that the handling changed pretty dramatically and probably won't try another one. I remember asking you about it at MV, seeing you were running the same tire. Mine was pretty well shot at that point.

Now, as for riding experience (and knowledge of all things Rocket 3), I respectfully tip my hat to you, sir.

I've only had the one try at the H50, so really shouldn't declare it as a "bad tire" based on my limited experience. But, I did notice right away after mounting it that the handling changed pretty dramatically and probably won't try another one. I remember asking you about it at MV, seeing you were running the same tire. Mine was pretty well shot at that point.

Now, as for riding experience (and knowledge of all things Rocket 3), I respectfully tip my hat to you, sir.
Knowledge I was talking running curves you neck of the woods :D now amazingly I have a cobra front on a rim from last year with the exedra max. Thus the same down angle. Dang if tge cobra doesn't look like your h50 the extra flat spot each side from counter steer. I suspect that because we had the same rear.
This time my 240/40/18 is smaller the the max yet larger then the 240/50/16. Thus different down force. I suspect to different axle center lines. Now my cobra wasnt the tree coumpund stuff like the h50 butt I suspect with the same down force the in curves the softer tire (h50) will loose yet still have mile of super slab left in it. Im lucky as my front fork length and rear shock length are both adjustable so I have more say so in how the weight of the bike is presented to the curve. Well and some have noticed I do nit sit still on the bike, I move about :)

Knowledge I was talking running curves you neck of the woods :D now amazingly I have a cobra front on a rim from last year with the exedra max. Thus the same down angle. Dang if tge cobra doesn't look like your h50 the extra flat spot each side from counter steer. I suspect that because we had the same rear.
This time my 240/40/18 is smaller the the max yet larger then the 240/50/16. Thus different down force. I suspect to different axle center lines. Now my cobra wasnt the tree coumpund stuff like the h50 butt I suspect with the same down force the in curves the softer tire (h50) will loose yet still have mile of super slab left in it. Im lucky as my front fork length and rear shock length are both adjustable so I have more say so in how the weight of the bike is presented to the curve. Well and some have noticed I do nit sit still on the bike, I move about :)

I did notice that your bike does not sit still when you blew by me like a, like a..... "Rocket" at Maggie Valley. Felt like a plane was about to land on my back. @Steel did the same near the end of the ride. Both times it was over before I had time to panic and head for the ditch to take cover. ;)

Could be the different angle you describe affecting those particular tires. The Dunlops on my setup have, so far, worn evenly but like all of them too quickly. I think the H50 must be designed more for touring and seems (?) to have a flatter contact surface in the center of the tire that requires a bit more push to roll over.

Everyone loves the Chromes so much that I'd like to try them if they ever go on deep sale. I ran Avons on my Thunderbird Sport and always had bad cupping issues, but of course with a different model tire.

Last edited:
What about these oil burner heaters anybody have any exp. with them?Quite pricey would like some first hand exp. before spending that kind of money

i made one out of an old fuel burning trailer setup and then added a a little stream of air
unbelievable the heat it would put out. it had about a 5 inch door and when it would get cranking it would set there and keep blowing that door open. now i was burning used trans fluid and there was not that much regs back then.

Back