A few questions: next tires ?

I just got one in yesterday, based on your recommendation, and looking forward to mounting it soon, probably in the next 400 miles or less.
Wow- check out the tread depth on this thing!
IMG_2871.JPG

Tis an incredible front tire for the big beast Rocket! After a week of us hooning through Texas, New Mexico, Arizona, and Utah, Rob @Claviger is now a convert and is also loving the performance.

If you want to easily grind down your foot pegs then go with the Cobra chrome. I'm not talking about high speed turns I mean very tight U-turns. The front dips into the turn so easily now and the Rocket feels very light diving into a slalom course or turns. I set up cones a few times a year to practice slow work and I just can't say enough about the Chromes. Time will tell for tread wear.

If you want to easily grind down your foot pegs then go with the Cobra chrome. I'm not talking about high speed turns I mean very tight U-turns. The front dips into the turn so easily now and the Rocket feels very light diving into a slalom course or turns. I set up cones a few times a year to practice slow work and I just can't say enough about the Chromes. Time will tell for tread wear.

Goodonya for practicing your slow turn maneuvers! :thumbsup:

Comparing the Avon 140/75R17 to the Road 5 150/70R17:

They both have light initial input effort, the Road 5 requires slightly less effort to initiate a turn.

The Road 5 has softer compound on the shoulders than the Avon, so ultimate at the limit grip is higher and riding under the limit will give a larger safety margin.

It's much lighter weight and it has a broader more gradual curve. The difference in shape means there's a larger contact patch and you can use the entire tire edge to edge.

The Avon was a tire I loved and the only complaint was in near freezing temperatures in rain, it got a bit sketchy and the grip was greatly reduced.

If I were picking a tire for all out no holds bar grip, Road 5, for wet traction Road 5, for feel Road 5, for mileage probably the Road 5. My Avon lasted about 10k, probably could have stretched it another 1000 dry miles, it was good but the Road 5 feels better in every way.

Comparing the Avon 140/75R17 to the Road 5 150/70R17:
....My Avon lasted about 10k, probably could have stretched it another 1000 dry miles, it was good but the Road 5 feels better in every way.

I'm surprised you are getting that kind of mileage from any tire. I'm doing something wrong, or our roads are just more abrasive. If I get anything close to that on this new Road 5 I'll be ecstatic.

Just curious what mileage you get on the rear?

I'm surprised you are getting that kind of mileage from any tire. I'm doing something wrong, or our roads are just more abrasive. If I get anything close to that on this new Road 5 I'll be ecstatic.

Just curious what mileage you get on the rear?

10 to 12K miles on a front tire is about right.
Usally replace 2 fronts for every 1 rear for me.

10 to 12K miles on a front tire is about right.
Usally replace 2 fronts for every 1 rear for me.

Did you mean to say 2 rears for every 1 front? Otherwise, 20-24K for a rear :whitstling:

Tire life has been discussed in other posts, but now you've blown my theory apart. I figured those of us getting high mileage must be doing highway miles on the straights. I've never been to Toccoma (would like to), but you have twisties there and you don't putter, nor does Rob. I keep an eye on my tire pressure- not sure what other "secret" there could be to ensuring long life. I hit the twisties going to and from work and that accounts for about 70% of my miles. I've only noticed that the more comfortable I am riding this bike that my tire mileage continues to go down. Always less than 5K miles, always :(

Wondering what @rainman , @Dr.D, and others in this area are getting on the roads around here.

Sorry, I hope this is relevant (enough) to the OP's question.

Back