A few questions: next tires ?

I putt on a Road 5 after @1olbull ’s recommendation. After a terrifying ride in the wet on the old Metz I was shocked at the difference. Haven’t done a lot of hooning with it but the bike is MUCH easier to tip into a corner. This might be helped by the change in trail with the larger Exendra max on the back.

I have been in the rain a lot this year and ****! Tried some emergency stops And some at speed cornering and to be honest I couldn’t even tell that the road was wet.

Did you mean to say 2 rears for every 1 front? Otherwise, 20-24K for a rear :whitstling:

Tire life has been discussed in other posts, but now you've blown my theory apart. I figured those of us getting high mileage must be doing highway miles on the straights. I've never been to Toccoma (would like to), but you have twisties there and you don't putter, nor does Rob. I keep an eye on my tire pressure- not sure what other "secret" there could be to ensuring long life. I hit the twisties going to and from work and that accounts for about 70% of my miles. I've only noticed that the more comfortable I am riding this bike that my tire mileage continues to go down. Always less than 5K miles, always :(

Wondering what @rainman , @Dr.D, and others in this area are getting on the roads around here.

Sorry, I hope this is relevant (enough) to the OP's question.
On my original 96 classic and 08 touring my rear would be between 19-12000 miles and front bout 15-16000 miles don't know bout the classic I have now

I got right around 8500-9000 on my rear Exedra, the first tire that's not suffered a puncture aside from the OEM metz.

I did notice on this trip that a single day playing on the three sisters (200ish miles) caused a visually noticable amount of wear compared to the 1500 or so miles afterwards.

Sisters are very abbrasive, where the other roads (especially near home) are not.

I suspect it's the number one factor in rear tire life.

If I get 6 or 7k on the Road 5, I'm totally fine with that, it feels great and the softer shoulders provide profound confidence for me.

I would offer that riding straight up and down, on freeways will kill the tire faster than riding roads with curves frequently. You'll be wearing pretty much one area, the center, where curves will allow for full surface wear. When I get it home I'll take a pic of my essentially done Exedra next to a newish one, and you'll see what I mean.

Even when I commute, a lot of the trip isn't straight up and down, it's long sweeping curved freeway with minimal straight b roads.

Last edited:
This is a 1000 mile Exedra that had a puncture next to a roughly 8500 mile Exedra.

I'd say 8500 is my limit lol, not so safe anymore.

Stripe down the center isn't from a burnout, it's just the texture of the chords showing through the rubber. Did start wearing oddly over the last 1000 miles, though grip never fell off, still held quite well cornering in Utah.
20191022_121223.jpg
20191022_121200.jpg
20191022_121157.jpg

Last edited:

Sisters are very abbrasive, where the other roads (especially near home) are not.

I suspect it's [road surface] the number one factor in rear tire life........

Well, it has to be road surface then. Some roads here are pretty textured, but it "ain't Australia!"

I do get more even wear across the tire due to the twisty terrain here and I avoid Interstates when I have time. As you said, you'd expect more tire life, since the contact is getting spread around to different areas of the tire.

Thanks for sharing and including the pix.

Did you mean to say 2 rears for every 1 front? Otherwise, 20-24K for a rear :whitstling:

Tire life has been discussed in other posts, but now you've blown my theory apart. I figured those of us getting high mileage must be doing highway miles on the straights. I've never been to Toccoma (would like to), but you have twisties there and you don't putter, nor does Rob. I keep an eye on my tire pressure- not sure what other "secret" there could be to ensuring long life. I hit the twisties going to and from work and that accounts for about 70% of my miles. I've only noticed that the more comfortable I am riding this bike that my tire mileage continues to go down. Always less than 5K miles, always :(

Wondering what @rainman , @Dr.D, and others in this area are getting on the roads around here.

Sorry, I hope this is relevant (enough) to the OP's question.

You are correct, Dave, two rears for 1 front.
R-o-a-d-s, your NM roads suck and are hard on tires.
While far from perfect, our WA roads seem to be better than most.

Comparing the Avon 140/75R17 to the Road 5 150/70R17:

They both have light initial input effort, the Road 5 requires slightly less effort to initiate a turn.

The Road 5 has softer compound on the shoulders than the Avon, so ultimate at the limit grip is higher and riding under the limit will give a larger safety margin.

It's much lighter weight and it has a broader more gradual curve. The difference in shape means there's a larger contact patch and you can use the entire tire edge to edge.

The Avon was a tire I loved and the only complaint was in near freezing temperatures in rain, it got a bit sketchy and the grip was greatly reduced.

If I were picking a tire for all out no holds bar grip, Road 5, for wet traction Road 5, for feel Road 5, for mileage probably the Road 5. My Avon lasted about 10k, probably could have stretched it another 1000 dry miles, it was good but the Road 5 feels better in every way.

Clav , do you run the smaller tire on the front?

Those are the front sizes, so yes. I like the reduced height to bring axle height even instead of lower in the back.

The easier turning is just too good not to use it.

Back