2007 Rocket 111 fuel light problem.

garym

.020 Over
Ride
see below
Hi all, first post... Could not find specific information re my problem. Here goes.
Last month the fuel light began flickering on the instrument cluster, after not too long it became fully illuminated. ( Tank full )I decided to replace the sender unfortunately this did not fix the problem, I checked all the earths I could find, along with doing a continuity check on the harnesses and a resistance check of the new sender. Not being an expect and nothing available to carry out any further checks, I booked the bike into a local Triumph workshop, told them what I did and that I suspected it may be either the ECU or the instrument cluster, could they find the problem.
That afternoon when I attended the workshop I was informed the instrument cluster was faulty and needed to be replaced. I was also told they spent 5 hours on the bike finding the problem and not only was the fuel light still on, the high beam light was on also. ( good effort by the shop, 5 hours labour and instrument cluster worse than started )
I was able to obtain a second hand instrument cluster which was tested and found to be working correctly so I installed it to my bike and to my astonishment the fuel light was on.
I rang the bike shop and told them that the diagnosis I was given did not work, they suggested I needed to ride the bike for 15 to 20 KS to reset the computer, this suggestion was undertaken along with disconnecting the battery and reconnecting after an hour, all failed to solve the illuminated light. The shop was very generous in offering their services if I was to bring the bike back into the workshop for further diagnosis, when asked if it would cost me, the reply was yes.
Spending over $900 to date on the problem I was reluctant to take it back to shop and spending any more money. After reading some of the posts and having the fuel light referred to as an idiot light I am now of the opinion I will just live with it and maybe disconnect the light unless someone can offer another suggestion. Love the bike, just a frustrating situation.

Thanks in advance.

Hi Gary, I'm also in Newcastle & wouldn't trust the mechanics at the local Triumph dealer with a 2 stroke lawnmower.
I will only be going there until the warranty runs out.

Check in the "Common Issues" forum, there's a great in-depth post there about this issue. It's most likely the fuel sender in the tank itself still, or rather the mechanical part that kicks in when your fuel gets too low.

Though getting a cable from lonelec.co.uk and connecting TuneECU to the bike to see what it's saying from the ECU, if anything, can't hurt.

Low fuel light fix with pictures

G'day and welcome from an old N'cle lad.

I would check the float on the sender unit in the tank. It is a bit of a pain to finagle out and back in to the tank, but it may be either stuck down, or the float has sprung a leak and has sunk. You can usually re-use the crush washersif thet haven't been over-tightened, but is probably worth getting a couple just in case. You can probably get them from an auto parts store cheaper than from Triumph.

btw, there is a manual in my signature.

Thanks for the suggestions, I did remove the old sender and replace it with a new one, I also did a resistance test on it and seemed to be working fine. The float on the arm of the sender is also fine, its floating in the fuel, will check again just to make sure.

Well, if the mile minder is reasonably accurate, I reckon you can live without the low fuel light eh?

Back