13 inch progressive install

patrol21

.060 Over
Ride
2009 R3 RAMAIR Intake Full Jardine Exhaust Cor
Just picked up a set of progressive 13 inch springs. Issue is they are approx 1/4 inch too long to install even with the bike jacked up and rear assembly extended...any cute tricks to compress the ****ing spring/shock has vice grips didn't do jack ****...bloody mess

Just picked up a set of progressive 13 inch springs. Issue is they are approx 1/4 inch too long to install even with the bike jacked up and rear assembly extended...any cute tricks to compress the ****ing spring/shock has vice grips didn't do jack ****...bloody mess
Yep that's because you have a dual exhaust go single a 13.6 or 350 mm like I did will work

Yep that's because you have a dual exhaust go single a 13.6 or 350 mm like I did will work
Kinda looking just for a quick trick to compress the sping 1/4 of an inch overall...this is a 10 minute job that has my drinking!

Put on the bottom eyelet then use a piece of 2 x 4 with a U shape notch cut in it to depress the top of the shock then slide the top eyelet on.

Kinda looking just for a quick trick to compress the sping 1/4 of an inch overall...this is a 10 minute job that has my drinking!
Sorry I misunderstood or read to fast. I use a milling mach and a fixture I made to compress springs. never tried it with anything like a spring compressor for Strut springs on a car but they might work. of course once you do that you will probably either eliminate the standard sag the shock should have or turn it into a hard tail until you hit something big enough to compress the springs either way you might not really utilize the shock part and beat you cross over pipe to death while riding. As for the drinking I understand :)

I wish you luck though.
And want to point out your Jardine pipes are not made anymore and have the best sound I have heard on any can. They have a nice rumble. I know I have a set on the shelf.

Hey warp...took me a minute to digest. I see the issue...hitting cross over. Have Jardines so loostened and move a a clamp..all set, thanks!

What is wrong with drinking? ;):D:roll::roll:
Ok-put these on and very much like the improved cornering, ride etc...much improvement from the pogo sticks stocks I took off....I grabbed some black, heavy duty (the wife rides often with me) as well as the extra 1/2 inch has the bike sitting slightly higher so Im not catching my heel and pegs around turns anymore which is a nice plus

Overall-
1) Ride-The small bumps (NY state roads are horrible)...a definite improvement...much less noticeable
2) Larger bumps-still a touch jarring....have not slammed into a serious hole yet but the typical pavement separation heaves still hit hard even with the shock set at the softest setting. Was hoping for a bit more ease over these but have not really ridden with the wife on the back or gear. My assumption is that if the extra weight is no back they will be less jarring...I also have not done anything to the front yet so the slam fest in the front is still there.
3) Handling-Massive improvement. The extra 1/2 inch with the 13 inch as well as the better shock, Im glued in turns. I ran a route that generally I felt a touch uneasy pulling into the turns hard at 85..Im ripping thru them at far past that..these are not metric knee scrapers but sure is nice being able to hang a knee and slide my weight over without worrying about the back end wallowing around.
4) Rebound...super fast. Little to no bounce.

All in all-for hard riding they are a vast improvement, for general highway eh.....

They shouldn't be on the softest setting. They should be on the right setting.

Look up how to set up motorcycle sag properly, there is an actual procedure for dialing in shocks.

If you leave them on the softest, they'll bottom out, and then they'll bounce off the rubber stopper and it will be a hideous pogo stick, not a shock. Try winding them up to at least 50% preload. And are these normal Progressives or the Heavy Duty model? They recommend the HD for guys over 270 lbs or for two-up riding. If they're not HD, wind them to 75% preload or more, especially two-up, or get HD ones.

Back