10K Darkside Update

Gunshots

Nitrous
Rolled up 10,000 miles on the Goodyear Darkside F1 this week. Thought it was time for an update. New tire specs rate the tread depth at 11/32" new. So I set a dial cailper up and checked tread depth. Tread depth to the bottom is 12/32" (or 3/8" in laymens terms) and 9/32 to the wear bars. That means as hard as I have tried I have only been able to scratch a 1/16" off the darkside in 10,000 hard miles. Remember now, I replaced my original Metz at 3600 miles. If I take the F1 off with a 1/16 remaining above the wear bars (wearing off another 7/32")I should be looking at another 35k. or a total of 45K miles. That leaving 5/32" tread on the F1 which is about what the stock Metz has new. Thats 12 1/2 new Metzler's at 225 each (buying in volume you should be able to demand these prices:rolleyes:). doing your own labor(certainly by the 6th one you would purchase a plasma cutter and reconfigure that stupid wheel:mad:) your looking at $2812.00 (cha ching) That will buy a good deal of that shiney asphalt lubricant.
Darkside ain't for everybody, but is sure as hell work$ for me.

Note: naysayers disreguard this post. I've heard it all :)

Hey Gunshots

Rolled up 10,000 miles on the Goodyear Darkside F1 this week. Thought it was time for an update. New tire specs rate the tread depth at 11/32" new. So I set a dial cailper up and checked tread depth. Tread depth to the bottom is 12/32" (or 3/8" in laymens terms) and 9/32 to the wear bars. That means as hard as I have tried I have only been able to scratch a 1/16" off the darkside in 10,000 hard miles. Remember now, I replaced my original Metz at 3600 miles. If I take the F1 off with a 1/16 remaining above the wear bars (wearing off another 7/32")I should be looking at another 35k. or a total of 45K miles. That leaving 5/32" tread on the F1 which is about what the stock Metz has new. Thats 12 1/2 new Metzler's at 225 each (buying in volume you should be able to demand these prices). doing your own labor(certainly by the 6th one you would purchase a plasma cutter and reconfigure that stupid wheel) your looking at $2812.00 (cha ching) That will buy a good deal of that shiney asphalt lubricant.
Darkside ain't for everybody, but is sure as hell work$ for me.

Note: naysayers disreguard this post. I've heard it all

I want a set of those tires if after 10,000 miles you gain .032 or (1/32 in laymen turns)
I have to ribb you about your thread.

You said the new tire is 11/32 and after 10,000 miles you now have 12/32 to the bottom which is a gain of .032 thousands of an inch not a loss of a 1/16" which is .062 thousands of an inch so either I'm not letting you near a ruler again and definatly not letting you build any plans with Bohica or I can read:D:D:D:D

Last edited:
You captured my thoughts as well Paul. A tire that "makes" tread as you drive. If Gunshots isn't careful, there'll be some rubbing going on in another 30K or so.;)

I'm sure Gunshots will straighten us out. I'm thinking the first mention of 11/32" is to the wear bars. 11/32" minus 9/32" (dial caliper measurement) = 2/32" = 1/16" wear.

Last edited:
I'm sure he did but couldn't miss the chance to give him a little dig. :kick:
It's nice to know I'm not the only one who thinks one thing and types somrthing else:D

Awesome Gunshots! 45k and a 2800$ savings. Hot ****, for you! That's half way to that breast augmentation you were hoping for :D My quick google search revealed a 420 tread wear rating. Is that correct? As you say, smoking a fatty isn't for everyone but like you said, it werkz fer me (mol). If I get 30k out of this Cooper with a 280 tread wear I'll be happy.

Last edited:
went ahead and switch over to a 205/55-16 with a 140 tread wear rating. i'm very pleased with it so far. guess those honda valk guys know their stuff. we'll see how it holds together:eek::D

greg

:D
I want a set of those tires if after 10,000 miles you gain .032 or (1/32 in laymen turns)
I have to ribb you about your thread.

You said the new tire is 11/32 and after 10,000 miles you now have 12/32 to the bottom which is a gain of .032 thousands of an inch not a loss of a 1/16" which is .062 thousands of an inch so either I'm not letting you near a ruler again and definatly not letting you build any plans with Bohica or I can read
Somehow I new someone would think something of the sort. It confused me for a moment but Goodyear as other manufactures measure tread to the leagle tread depth or "the wear bars" Huh bars?? I bet thats why all the Hardley's are stopped there:bch: they be checkin for wear. I wonder how long before they figure it out.................:D
You captured my thoughts as well Paul. A tire that "makes" tread as yo drive. If Gunshots isn't carefull, there'll be some rubbing going on in another 30K or so.;)

I'm sure Gunshots will straighten us out. I'm thinking the first mention of 11/32" is to the wear bars. 11/32" minus 9/32" (dial caliper measurement) = 2/32" = 1/16" wear.

I'm seriously thinking of doing the darkside thing but I would want the softest rubber they got in that size. I have a questions about it as it seems to like the flat part and it takes some effort to get it off of it from what I've read and slopping roads are very interesting to negotiate. Can you lite em up, or is that too much for the front end to hold? As cheap as they are it just seems too much the temptation.

Excelent tire wear, GS. I have almost 7k on my Yokohama now. Not wearing as well as yours, but only about 1/3 worn according to my calibrated eyeball. I don't plan on going back.

Back