Working on an Intake project

It really is, especially with the high tech filaments available these days if your willing to pay for them like Ultem and Carbon Fiber reinforced nylon.

Once they get Delrin/HDPE in a printable format for a reasonable price, all things will be possible! It’s a magic material I swear it.m

What would be amazing is a dimensionally accurate 3D printed closed cell foam to use as composite structural cores.

Well, dyno time reserved for 30 March to test open TB, TB with curved stacks, and I’ll pick a 3rd option of some sort.

It’s one of the dynos I had my bike run on last year, full disclosure, it reads a tiny bit high, like 4hp up vs Nels at 2WDW, but it’s 10 minutes from home, and 4hp come out to about 2%. Will still work perfectly for ABC testing of three setups.

So... third option, suggestions? Thinking Ramair or K&N 1770s or perhaps getting so 10” stacks printed to show the spread of power changes between the three differing lengths.

EDIT: Just realize I may or may not have my new headers by then. If not I’ll make a return trip to get some AB numbers be my CES with whichever intake setup makes the most HP.

I love dyno days, it’s a Vtwin specialty shop, so, I’ll probably have to clean a bunch of drool off my bike:)

Last edited:
Once they get Delrin/HDPE in a printable format for a reasonable price, all things will be possible! It’s a magic material I swear it.

What would be amazing is a dimensionally accurate 3D printed closed cell foam to use as composite structural cores.
I'd miss machining Delrin though.

That place you posted teh vid from with the new metal print process - they have a really neat single fibre reinforcement solution that could do away with foam coring.

That’s what she said?!

I saw that continuous strand machine, haven’t found a printer to do higher tech stuff like that yet. The three curved ones currently in print today are CF reinforced material though so should be incredibly rigid.

Last edited:
You need to lose those secondary throttle plate shafts..........

Very much agree!! Working out how to not throw a code. Does it even throw a code when you unplug the servo?

If anyone in the area has some 4040-1s, and would like actual data, I'll fund the dyno time if you can provide the 4040s for just the test.

Last edited:
Hellfire,
First off, this is not for everyone, just a little side project. Most simply do not need or want more performance from their R3, And we are starting to stray seriously off topic.

FWIW, for those with Predators, the results above are even larger. For instance, the Preds provide (in my testing) about 4%-4.5% more hp with the Bearclaw in place over RU-2780s than the Jardines provide - but a larger restriction. The results from the intake system tested above are with Jardines, and the Preds provide a corespondingly larger output.

The 6.5% increase (10% over RU-2780s under the bearclaw) results are with a new intake system and throttle body/adapter blueprinting. Filter, velocity stacks, IATS relocation, trimmed bearclaw, etc. developed around a single filter design that allows me to place full velocity stacks under the filter. We have an even better stack design tested since these results, and are still testing stagger as well as a few other items. It also allows us to mount the IATS under the filter to get accurate intake temps and let the ECU correct for actual intake air temps.

The new filter allows enough flow to let the blueprinted throttle body finally show an improvement in output on engines with a full exhaust - Jardines, Predators, custom header systems, etc. Prior to this, the work was not worth the effort, as the filter was the restriction, not the throttle bore.

Despite what manufacturers claim for filter flow, when you put a magnehelic gauge on a set of RU-2780s you will see the restriction they provide in a running R3 engine on the dyno - or on the road. A flow bench will show this restriction as well, but means little if the engine does not need the flow/velocity. As seen in the graph, this is not just at high rpm, the restriction also reduces the influence of the intake pulse tuning at all engine speeds over 2700 rpm. The RU-2780 can quickly fill with dust/debris reducing its performance even further. Overkill on the filter provides less force driving dust into the filter, and even dirty, will still provides ample flow for good performance.

The throttle blueprint work is just that - matching the throttlebody and manifold adapters to the head, and removing the machined step in the throttle bore. There is also a bit of work to the throttle blades, shaft, and screws. This allows the TB to flow closer to what the head does in stock form.

We do this regularly on other engines where we see the throttle bore flow significantly less than the intake ports and reduces flow and velocity. The intake should be considered an extension of the intake port, not a restriction to it. The choke point should be just prior to the valve stem/valve guide, not in the intake. Otherwise you kill port velocity and detracts from intake pulse tuning.

With higher lift cams, we really need more blade area than the stock 51.6mm blades/bores provide. Based on the throttle blade distance from the intake valve (even with very little port taper) the throttle blade needs more area and to be better shaped for piston air demand. This is in the works, as are straight manifold adapters that replace the curved stock ones and show less shearing of the intake mixture.

Getting rid of the secondary throttle shaft is a benefit as well, but the ECU will throw a code if it does not detect the secondary TPS and stepper (timed together), but we are working on this little detail - similarly to what we do on the late 'Busas.

We will be testing the latest generation of stacks with offset stagger later this week. Same bike, as well as two others - one with stock throttle body and Jardine exhaust. Thus far, the results indicate that more length to the center stack is wanted, but we will not be sure until we test. We will also be testing a heat dam between the filter and the engine as well as preventing hot air from behind the radiator from flowing into the filter. So far, we are only testing on bikes with full exhaust systems, and with a more modified engine - cams, headwork, compression, etc. (requiring shorter stack length defined by intake valve closing).

Test, test, and test again. ;)

This project and intake system is not for everyone. I had never intended to sell these to the public, but only to a few current customers and those performing internal engine modifications. The work involved to test and produce these is not a money making venture, just a quest for knowledge and performance. I will likely offer a few for sale since the number of calls and emails over the past few weeks seem to indicate demand for this. Most are happy with RU-2780s under the bearclaw and the performance increase they provide. Some are not. Some will not like the look with a trimmed bearclaw. Others, feel differently. To each their own.

For the time being, I am simply sharing the results we have found from reducing intake restrictions on a few R3s tested.

Posting this here so I don't lose it again, its not the easiest post to find these days :p

Backplate made from 1mm aluminum sheet, funnels are in the mail, due any day now.

114.3mm is the actual borespacing between cylinders, aka 4.5”.

Still need to clean up the edges, but $9 and 1/2 hour work vs $35 for a steel version is a win in my book.
CFDEEE74-424D-4D9F-AED5-616F6F2CE5EC.jpeg

Back