TORs still available from Triumph

I thought about having a rim resized to do it - but a 40mm width reduction even with the increase in sidewall ratio - I'd want a 1.5" slimmer rim. Better to get a 17" rear rim made up. imo.
I went with 18 inch
SAM_0986.JPG

SAM_0987.JPG

And imo that looks way better than Carbon Fibre. ;) - Not to mention cheaper and on ****ty roads more resistant.

I'd go to 17 as there are loads of good approx 200 width low profile Z rated tyres. Moot as I can't afford to though. :banghead:

Just thought I'd let everyone know that TORs are still available from the Triumph factory, but get 'em quick.

I just bought a pair of Black TORs (Part No. 9608144) from the UK for GBP191.67 plus GBP45.00 shipping to Ohio. That's US$300-310 delivered, depending what exchange rate the credit card company decides to use. I think that is a great deal, especially since 2 new gaskets were included. Triumph reduced their official prices on many exhaust systems by 50% a while ago, making the black TOR list price now GBP230.00 for UK residents, remove the built-in 20% VAT for exports. The UK dealer I used (World of Triumph) had no stock, but ordered the kit from the factory, next day shipping. The factory told the dealer that stocks are low, so act quickly if you want some.

Chrome TORs (Part No. 9608077) price has been reduced by 50%, but are no longer available from the factory as a kit. The individual silencers are still available, unfortunately at the old price of GBP399.36 for the pair. This is GBP332.80 net of VAT. Add shipping to the US and it works out to about US$540, which is higher than US dealer price (if he can get them).
Can you tell me where to order the black Tors Part No. 9608144, I did a search and nothing comes up Thanks.

Can you tell me where to order the black Tors Part No. 9608144, I did a search and nothing comes up Thanks.

Here is the dealership where I ordered the Tors: World of Triumph

If you click on "accessories", in the pop up menu click on "rocket III accessories", then "rocket classic & roadster" then you will arrive at this page with black TORs: Rocket III Classic and Roadster

I recommend you do not powder coat the header shields but rather ceramic coat them. I sent mine in through a local shop to have them ceramic coated. When I picked them up from the coating shop I found they had powder coated them with a supposedly 1200 deg coating. Although their web site listed that they did ceramic coating, the shop had discontinued it.

I gave the bike to my son a short time later and about a year and about a year after that the coating started to peal off both the header and the large crossover heat shield. We had another set so mounted them and I returned the pealing ones. The shop re-coated them with the owner telling me that if they pealed again they couldn't do anything for me, that powder coating exhaust components had not worked out for them. I don't know if it was in the prep or the coating. Before powder coating any chrome it must get a thorough bead blasting. This is what my Classic looked like. I thought very cool but it didn't work.

R3 Classic (1408 x 1056).jpg
Good point about powder coat not a good choice for the header heat shields. I am only planning on powder coating the curved heat/decorative shields that clamp to the front end of each muffler. I'll leave the header heat shields chrome. Further down the road I am considering a Viking or similar header in black...maybe the crossover pipe too.

I thought about having a rim resized to do it - but a 40mm width reduction even with the increase in sidewall ratio - I'd want a 1.5" slimmer rim. Better to get a 17" rear rim made up. imo.

barbagris, you're correct about rim width. The 200/60 Bridgestone Exedra Max is designed for a 5.50"-6.25" rim, not 7.50" (my rim actually measures 7.45").
My main concern with this experiment is putting the sidewalls in a different position than intended. I don't know if the tire will flex like it should; probably the sidewalls will be a little stiffer. Hopefully there is enough flex to allow the beads to sit flat in the rim, and hold air.
The wide rim will flatten out the tread profile a little, but I don't see that as a problem. I don't think I'll run off the edge of the tread.
Weight rating is not an issue at all. If the Rocket Touring uses a 180/70 tire, a 200/60 will be fine for the Roadster. I ride solo, don't pull a trailer.

Here is the dealership where I ordered the Tors: World of Triumph

If you click on "accessories", in the pop up menu click on "rocket III accessories", then "rocket classic & roadster" then you will arrive at this page with black TORs: Rocket III Classic and Roadster

I just went through every accessory there is on the website, which the previous owner put on my Touring when new, and unfortunately they don't have TORs.

Back