TORs still available from Triumph

rjsjota

.040 Over
Ride
2015 Matt Black R3R
Just thought I'd let everyone know that TORs are still available from the Triumph factory, but get 'em quick.

I just bought a pair of Black TORs (Part No. 9608144) from the UK for GBP191.67 plus GBP45.00 shipping to Ohio. That's US$300-310 delivered, depending what exchange rate the credit card company decides to use.

UPDATE: Cost was US$313 delivered to Ohio

I think that is a great deal, especially since 2 new gaskets were included. Triumph reduced their official prices on many exhaust systems by 50% a while ago, making the black TOR list price now GBP230.00 for UK residents, remove the built-in 20% VAT for exports. The UK dealer I used (World of Triumph) had no stock, but ordered the kit from the factory, next day shipping. The factory told the dealer that stocks are low, so act quickly if you want some.

Chrome TORs (Part No. 9608077) price has been reduced by 50%, but are no longer available from the factory as a kit. The individual silencers are still available, unfortunately at the old price of GBP399.36 for the pair. This is GBP332.80 net of VAT. Add shipping to the US and it works out to about US$540, which is higher than US dealer price (if he can get them).

Last edited:
At that price plus shipping you could just about buy a entire exhaust system that would include a high flowing header.

a) less weight
b) better exhaust flow
c) better sound
d) more horsepower and torque

Did you get your tors yet?
The black TORs arrived by UPS less than one week after placing the order, and they're already installed on the bike.
The OE mufflers weigh 34lb 10oz as a pair (with gaskets), the TORs weigh 25lb 6oz as a pair (with the new gaskets that came with the TOR kit). A weight reduction of just over 9lb.
I've ridden a couple of hundred miles with the OE tune but haven't ridden hard, not wanting to damage the engine. I like the sound a lot.
A tune from HansO (thanks again for taking the time to respond during RDU!) will be installed soon.

IMG_3795.JPG IMG_3801.JPG

The black TORs arrived by UPS less than one week after placing the order, and they're already installed on the bike.
The OE mufflers weigh 34lb 10oz as a pair (with gaskets), the TORs weigh 25lb 6oz as a pair (with the new gaskets that came with the TOR kit). A weight reduction of just over 9lb.
I've ridden a couple of hundred miles with the OE tune but haven't ridden hard, not wanting to damage the engine. I like the sound a lot.
A tune from HansO (thanks again for taking the time to respond during RDU!) will be installed soon.

IMG_3795.JPG IMG_3801.JPG
Could u send a side view! I'm interested how they look with the Chrome headers

IAROCKET, thanks for your interest!

The combination of chrome header head shield, chrome muffler heat shield and black muffler looks OK, but I think it would be better with black heat shields. I am fairly certain they will get powder coated matte black during the winter.

Right now the Rocket is on the lift with mufflers, rear wheel and final drive taken off. Changing the rear tire and greasing the final drive splines at the same time. I'm downsizing to a 200/60 rear tire, which might have been done before, but I've never read about it in the R3Owners forums. That will be posted in a separate thread.

I'll post views of both sides as soon as the TORs are back on the bike.

The combination of chrome header head shield, chrome muffler heat shield and black muffler looks OK, but I think it would be better with black heat shields. I am fairly certain they will get powder coated matte black during the winter.

Right now the Rocket is on the lift with mufflers, rear wheel and final drive taken off. Changing the rear tire and greasing the final drive splines at the same time. I'm downsizing to a 200/60 rear tire, which might have been done before, but I've never read about it in the R3Owners forums. That will be posted in a separate thread.

That is a big decrease in size on a very wide rim have you checked if it will safely fit the rim? Maybe why no-one has done it.

You are also going from a stock 240 with a load index of 84 500Kg 1102 lbs to the 200 with 79 437Kg 963 lbs

Last edited:

I recommend you do not powder coat the header shields but rather ceramic coat them. I sent mine in through a local shop to have them ceramic coated. When I picked them up from the coating shop I found they had powder coated them with a supposedly 1200 deg coating. Although their web site listed that they did ceramic coating, the shop had discontinued it.

I gave the bike to my son a short time later and about a year and about a year after that the coating started to peal off both the header and the large crossover heat shield. We had another set so mounted them and I returned the pealing ones. The shop re-coated them with the owner telling me that if they pealed again they couldn't do anything for me, that powder coating exhaust components had not worked out for them. I don't know if it was in the prep or the coating. Before powder coating any chrome it must get a thorough bead blasting. This is what my Classic looked like. I thought very cool but it didn't work.

R3 Classic (1408 x 1056).jpg

Last edited:
I'm downsizing to a 200/60 rear tire, which might have been done before, but I've never read about it in the R3Owners forums.
I thought about having a rim resized to do it - but a 40mm width reduction even with the increase in sidewall ratio - I'd want a 1.5" slimmer rim. Better to get a 17" rear rim made up. imo.

Back