Tank Protection Film

My Minis' got the full treatment, front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges, rear fenders. Done really well, mostly invisible. Car still looks basically brand new when I wax it and I commute on the freeway daily. Very worth investment to have in professionally installed.

I've done some vinyl work before and for compound curves like the rocket tank you're going to want some super high quality material. The 3M stuff really is great, stretch pull tweak yank tug, then heat with a gun and zips right back to original size and shape.

Last edited:
Just spent an hour researching this vinyl wrap stuff.
Very interesting topic & has me ruminating on a Kawasaki green Rocket! :thumbsup:
3M Neon Wrap Film | Satin Neon Green | VCW17120
BTW - Surprisingly, this Metro Restyling place is less expensive than Amazon! :eek:
For example a 5' X 2' is $24.00 versus $38 at Amazon

I have bought from Metro restyling and they are great to deal with.
BTW the 3m dynoc film is pretty good with heat too Ive used it on my exhaust heat shields and its been on there for 2 seasons without deteriorating.
DSCN4612.JPG

My Minis' got the full treatment, front bumper, hood, fenders, mirrors, door edges, rear fenders. Done really well, mostly invisible. Car still looks basically brand new when I wax it and I commute on the freeway daily. Very worth investment to have in professionally installed.

I've done some vinyl work before and for compound curves like the rocket tank you're going to want some super high quality material. The 3M stuff really is great, stretch pull tweak yank tug, then heat with a gun and zips right back to original size and shape.

For compound curves Ive found doing it in two pieces and using cutting tape ( knifeless tape) to make an invisible join works really well. The radiator end covers on a rocket are incredibly complex curves going in 3 directions at some places and I did mine in 1 piece . Also handled the heat well. Use 3m adhesive promoter at the edges and its gonna stick like crazy once you set it but you can lift it and restretch it while you are working it.
IMG_0017.JPG

I assume the carbon look on the radiator cover is vinyl wrap as well?
Sure does look good! . . . from the pix anyway.
Very nice work! :thumbsup:
I just got a new front fender to mount on my R3R, reckon I shall give it a go with some of that wrap stuff.

I assume the carbon look on the radiator cover is vinyl wrap as well?
Sure does look good! . . . from the pix anyway.
Very nice work! :thumbsup:
I just got a new front fender to mount on my R3R, reckon I shall give it a go with some of that wrap stuff.
It is wrap but its black 3M Dinoc carbon which is much thicker than regular wrap. A little more difficult to work with cause of its thickness but it doesn't overstretch and once you get the hang of it better to work with (I think). For your mudguard you would want to run knifeless tape along the bottom edge and cut it off right at the edge so that its not under the mudguard but rather right up to the very edge. Looks really neat that way. Check out Youtube, there are some really helpful videos on how to heat and stretch vinyl wrap and use cutting tape ( knife-less tape)

Back