Tank Protection Film

Tal

Living Legend
Ride
2021 Triumph Rocket 3 GT
Has anyone applied film to their fuel tanks and other panels to prevent stone chips and if so which is the best to use?
Also, any useful tips in applying the film would be handy to know.
One chip can be very annoying....

IME - The chips happen where the film is the most difficult to apply. Edges and corners.

I have used 3M VentureShield as scuff protection (where seat rubs tank) or underneath Tank-Bras : you need to apply it wet - best with a little soap in the water - but make sure you do not get suds. SOAP NOT DETERGENT - detergents usually contain salt.

It can be made to cover VERY bulbous objects - I have seen a Helmet done - but key is keeping the film tense in position until it fully dries - The longer it takes - the better it looks. But needs ime a good 24 hours to cure in the shade. And to do a helmet or 1-pce an R3 tank or any other R3 paintwork you will need some monster tension.

Matt Black lovers can of course use bitumastic paint.

i did my Storm after getting a chip and cursed myself for not being smart enuff and doing it earlier. Once done i had no more problems even tho i rode thru many roadworks with loose chip over new seal.
I will be doing my Rocket, thats a no brainer for me so any input re the best product and clever ways to apply it is a plus for me.

i did my Storm after getting a chip and cursed myself for not being smart enuff and doing it earlier. Once done i had no more problems even tho i rode thru many roadworks with loose chip over new seal.
I will be doing my Rocket, thats a no brainer for me so any input re the best product and clever ways to apply it is a plus for me.

I got some heavy clear adhesive plastic film they use on MX bikes an glued discs to my headlights to protect them as I dont like the Ventura ones, its been on about eight years and you cant tell unless you look closely. Have also done some 3M wrapping that helps.

When I first got the bike about 11 years ago I thought about buying a wrap kit from the bike shop (you can order bike specific ones) but my cat managed to knock some bike part off the shelves in the garage when "helping" me work and dinged the tank, a year later it also did the front mudguard, I've given up on worrying now. The cat means well....

I got some heavy clear adhesive plastic film they use on MX bikes an glued discs to my headlights to protect them as I dont like the Ventura ones, its been on about eight years and you cant tell unless you look closely. Have also done some 3M wrapping that helps..
Careful on lights - the film stops heat escaping through the glass. A major swine if the reflector is plastic. As for example R3. Just saying. It is hot here anyway so that does not help.

I had a kit put on my 15' over a year ago glad I did.The brand was Laminix

Last edited:
Back