Triumph Magnetic tank bag ?

R3RM

Rocketeer
Ride
R3R-2020
Anyone having the experience of the magnetic tank bag for the 2020 R3 ?
Would it scratch the tank painting ?
Where do the security strap go (just in the front and around the steering column) ?
Secure enough (at reasonable speed) ?
Else ?

1589452525247.png

No straps.
It has magnets that hold it to the metal tank, presumably with cloth between the magnet and tank to stop scratches.
I have a generic tank bag and the magnets hold it tight. But I had to pin soft cloth to the magnets to stop scratches ;-)

They will all scratch eventually, if your religious about where you store it, ensure you never take it off and place it magnet side down on the deck and wipe it off before you place it on the tank you can avoid the majority of issues, as JRock said get some felt or something on the underside and that should help some.

Thanks for your comments. I may go for one but will ask the dealer to show it to me before.

They will all scratch eventually, if your religious about where you store it, ensure you never take it off and place it magnet side down on the deck and wipe it off before you place it on the tank you can avoid the majority of issues, as JRock said get some felt or something on the underside and that should help some.

I have even tried a piece of microfiber cloth between the bag and tank. If you are really worried about scratches OR at least some paint swirls, I would not use one. I LOVE the functionality of tank bags and wasn't too worried on my last bike, but first time I used mine on the Rocket on a 500 mile ride, I found the beginnings of paint swirling. That tank is too darn big and black and any swirls are right in your face so I stopped. Not OEM tank bag, but a decent quality one, BTW.

Given that I'll finally have my R3 protected with a Suntek film*, I may go for the tank bag.
I still need to be sure that it'd really fit my needs and that it'be practical especially that I've ordered the sports tail bag. But same as you : I love in general the tank bag functionality (including having a map on top that I find complementary to a GPS).

* | SunTek

from ricknaish50 on Aug, 02 :

I'm very happy with the (Triumph R3) tank bag and would recommend it. Answers to you questions:

* Not much risk of scratching the paint, there is a somewhat tacky but non-abrasive surface where the bag contacts the tank
* There is a strap at the handle bar to really secure the front of the bag which is fussy until you learn the proper way to attach/detach
* No issues seeing the dash
My favorite feature is one you don't see. Under the zippered top of the bag there are a number of small pockets to organize chargers/cords etc. Nicely done Triumph!

Back