I'll double check this when I get to the bike tomorrow.
I just need a 'get me home' fix (if such a fix exists), then I can sort it properly.

I have this problem and all ways found that when it happens i knock it into 2nd gear rock the bike back and forth and it all ways starts.
might help if your just trying to get it home :(

So, bit of an update.

Got home from southern Spain by rocking the bike when in gear, bump starting and just sheer good luck.

Ordered this TRIUMPH ROCKET III STARTER MOTOR SOLENOID REPAIR KIT ( 428000-1810 ) | eBay when I got back as the consensus seemed to be it was the solenoid, fitted it last night and she starts on the button everytime! :)

If anyone doubts their ability to do this, I have very little technical knowledge (@barbagris will testify to that!) and it took me 30 mins from unbolting the starter to firing her up again, and for £13.50, bargain!

Thank you all for your help!

The very first thing to check (after fundamental battery check) is to see if the headlights go out when you hold clutch/press start
Either they do go out (which they should) or don't, either way gives big clue as to where issue might be.

Hi just quick question when you say headlights go out with clutch in/press starter. Do you mean completely or just dim?

Mine go out completely but I think that's the Eastern Beaver relay kit

Mine just dim but thought that was normal have not got Eastern Beaver fitted. Another thing to look into and add to the list:thumbsdown:

I always start bike with main lights off and the little park lights at the bottom go dim when pushing the starter is this correct?

The main lights do go out when starting. I've never noticed if the park lights dim, but I imagine with the amperage draw of the starter they would.

Back