No start... starter? Rebuild it?

Mongler07

Supercharged
Ride
07 R3 classic
I came out for a ride, took it of the battery maintainer, started it up, let it warm up a minute or 2 while i gear up, turn it off to check oil and air up tires etc... go to start it and CLICK, its not a battery dead click, i made sure that battery is 100% charged and even tried another battery with the same results. Its the same initial click thunk that the starter makes when starting but it just does not turn over and the ignition within a fraction of a second gives up. At first it rotated a tiny bit but now just clicks...
The bike has started fine up till now and always was a tiny bit sluggish starting or trying to start but once the engine started rotating it fires right up. (its never gotten worse, was always like that).
I'm fairly sure its the starter... not my first rodeo by far. BUT I'm wondering if its something simple I'm not aware of. She has about 27K on the clock. Is it normal for a starter to just go out that soon?
I would prefer to rebuild the starter vs replacing it. Any advice on a rebuild kit and what else should i check?

I was going to get a Toyota starter as they are slightly larger and more powerful too. During some service I pulled the starter, stripped it down, cleaned and refitted. Really wasn't much wrong with it other than oxidation through arcing on the brushes. Didn't need to replace the brushes either. There's a cheap rebuild kit around too. A mate got one from the UK but if you're in the US entire motor may be cheaper with freight and all these days.

What Speedy said....remove starter from under back of motor, may be that solenoid contacts are in need of cleaning.....there are threads on the site about doing that...use search function.

Will do. I'm going to replace it with the 1.4 starter and then rebuild or attempt to rebuild the one that I have now as a backup. $90 shipped is enough of an incentive to do the upgrade and have a spare.
I'm a glutton for a box of parts I may never use!
Thanks
Will need to swap starter drives (bendix)

Back