Speedo trouble on Touring Model

Also I use a speedometer assembly gauge from a 2011 that had abs, it made no difference on my 08, works as should
Thanks Kevin,
That is interesting, I thought maybe the ABS speedo that I installed that didn't work had fouled up some sensors or something. This helps as maybe the problem was before that installation.
Thank you!

Carl, I just had this problem a couple of months ago, it was the road speed sensor under the engine on the left side by the kickstand attachment. My wires had been cut. Spliced them together and I was back in business.
Here is the thread; Speedometer quit, now repaired (with help from friends)
Thank you Boog, so that's where that darn thing is, I've been looking in the wrong place. I did order a used one from Pinwheel that came off the same bike as the speedo I bought, should have it soon. I'm going to check the wires tonight to see if I have the same problem. Many thanks for the tip, I might now be on the right track.
Carl

Mine was that I had installed fall detection switch on its side, my error, would not start, but when I changed my road speed sensor everything started working, lights speedometer, turn signals, speed sensor was my demon as far as the speedometer assembly was concerned.
Hello Kevin,
Thank you for this valuable information. I did put an ohmmeter on the fall detection switch and it seems to be working, the bike starts. I'm headed where you went with the road speed sensor. I order a used one from Pinwheel that came off the same bike as the used speedo I bought. But as Boog has found it could be some bad wires. Can't wait to get under there and check it out tonight.
Your tip is much appreciated, I think I'm getting closer to the root of the problem. I just can't understand how it just started when I replaced the speedo. Everything but the neutral light was working on the old one.
Carl

Thank you Boog, so that's where that darn thing is, I've been looking in the wrong place. I did order a used one from Pinwheel that came off the same bike as the speedo I bought, should have it soon. I'm going to check the wires tonight to see if I have the same problem. Many thanks for the tip, I might now be on the right track.
Carl
Carl, as noted in my trial and error phase, DO NOT use liquid tape! Plain old electrical tape is best after splicing the wires back together if that is the problem.

I am also under the impression that this is one sensor that rarely fails on any bike. The usually problems comes form the wires.

Carl, as noted in my trial and error phase, DO NOT use liquid tape! Plain old electrical tape is best after splicing the wires back together if that is the problem.

I am also under the impression that this is one sensor that rarely fails on any bike. The usually problems comes form the wires.
Thank you Boog, I did see that there was liquid tape issues in your previous tread. I sure hope I do find some bad wires tonight.
Thanks,

Hello Kevin,
Thank you for this valuable information. I did put an ohmmeter on the fall detection switch and it seems to be working, the bike starts. I'm headed where you went with the road speed sensor. I order a used one from Pinwheel that came off the same bike as the used speedo I bought. But as Boog has found it could be some bad wires. Can't wait to get under there and check it out tonight.
Your tip is much appreciated, I think I'm getting closer to the root of the problem. I just can't understand how it just started when I replaced the speedo. Everything but the neutral light was working on the old one.
Carl

mine has been replaced twice I think they break somewhere around the display window

mine has been replaced twice I think they break somewhere around the display window
Hello Kevin,
You got me going the right direction. I received the used Road Speed Sensor, put it on and all is good. Everything is working! I saw a crimp on the outside wrapping on the new/used sensor so I decided I better take a look inside. Sure enough the ground wire was exposed and frayed. Had to fix that before installing. Checked all the wires on the old sensor and they were good so I can only conclude that the sensor had failed. So odd to have failed exactly while replacing speedo. Seems the wires run behind the kickstand stopper and get some sort of crimping and abrasion, that's where the replacement wires were damaged.
Thank you!
Carl

Hello Boog,
Thank you for your assistance and pointing me in the right direction. As I mentioned to Kevin it seems my Road Speed Sensor actually failed, no bad wires. I did install a used one and it fixed the problem. I followed your advise and used electrical tape to repair the bad wire on the used sensor I purchased. Since it had damage to the wire were it slides behind the kickstand bumper I gave the whole harness a good wrap at the point, I was still able to stuff it into the area behind the kickstand bumper.
Thanks so much for your assistance!
Carl

Also I use a speedometer assembly gauge from a 2011 that had abs, it made no difference on my 08, works as should
Hey Kevin,
That's great information for others. I installed the ABS version and it didn't work so I assumed that was the problem, when all along it was the Road Speed Sensor. My old speedo worked well except the neutral light was not working. All this for that, I miss the days your could just pop in a new bulb.
Thanks again,
Carl

Back