Rocket running poorly, suggestions welcomed

Crap, I just barely limped into my motel before dark.

Symptoms: Over the last 200 miles the bike started having hesitation issues as I was taking off.

The last 50 were pretty bad but once I got rolling on open highway it seemed OK.

15 miles ago I hit traffic and had to keep pulling in the clutch to keep it from dying.

It seems to idle fine.

It also seems like the fan keeps running in gear.

What I changed today:
1. Added blue Loctite to battery bolts before I left this morning as they kept loosening every few days the whole trip. It would lose power and eventually stall until I retightened them (as per RAA West incident).

Stopped and retightened the terminals as the Locktite ain’t doing Jack (ran into a fellow Rocketeer).
Q. Could sloppy application of LT cause electrical issues?

2. Added fuel treatment in case rough take off was due to water/bad gas.

3. I noticed the radiator reservoir was empty and filled it to max with Hy-per Cool Super Coolant.

My tank is under the left side cover and maybe I hit a relay putting it back on but I don’t have my manual to see what’s in there. I’ll check in the am that all are seated well...

4. Pushed on fuses but didn’t inspect yet.

Bike starts fine so I think the clutch sensor is probably OK.

I have some tools with me so I can try other checks in the morning if you fine folks have some suggestions.

I’m close to Miami so I’m also looking for a recommended repair facility to call if I can’t sort it out tomorrow.

I see Triumph Miami, TripleTriumph and another dealer up in Pompano...

TIA
I had a similar condition a few years back, ended up being a vacuum hose came off the Mass flow sensor attached to the intake plenum.

I had a similar condition a few years back, ended up being a vacuum hose came off the Mass flow sensor attached to the intake plenum.

Definitely worth checking! This could cause all kinds of bizarre behavior. Easy to check all 4 hoses for cracks too with the K&Ns fitted instead of stock spaghetti.

Thanks Rob and all.

Update:
1. Walked a mile to get another plug socket.
2. Worker At NAPA informed me that there was a MC shop a mile away. K&G Cycles.
3. Dang the 2nd socket is too big.
4. Checked everything under the tank and buttoned it back up.
5. Reinstalled cleaned air temp sensor filter.
6. Called K&G and they said to bring it over.

Hoped on and rode to their shop without incident.
Hmm, did crimping the coil wire connectors or checking other connectors fix it or did I just not ride far enough?? TBD I guess.

They will install new plugs, check the battery voltage, adjust the clutch cable and see if they spot anything else first thing in the morning.

Unfortunately they do not have the Triumph diag tool and never heard on TuneECU.

The option to have Triumph of Pampano fetch me tomorrow still stands if the problem persists.

No sense in having a new TPS shipped here if they don’t have the capability to adjust it...

Fwiw, I just replaced my coils, "I think" I fixed a cutting out/dropping a cylinder problem I chased for 2 years, it was so intermittent that it took a while to figure out it only happened when hot, but I thought I fixed it 3 times previously. Just throwing it out there, if it's intermittent.

Vacuum lines are your problem on the 05 Rocket. 2 and 4 silicone is your line size on Amazon. Auto Zone will have your regular line that will get you back on the road. Replace the caps two you will more than likely have to put a screw in the end of the hose for the new caps on the carburetor.

Back