09 running rough

jcomp

.020 Over
Ride
2009 Triumph Rocket 3 roadster
Just purchased 09 roadster. Had a bit of a cold start issue at first. Start rough but after running for a minute or two seemed to run fine. Then it would start fine for several hours. After sitting overnight it would start rough. Plenty of crank, but seemed to be running lean. Struggling for fuel. Possibly flooded. But would run good after running for a minute. Took to mechanic where it sat unstarted for 2 weeks now it runs rough all together. Dealership had it for 4 months and bought from a auction. Possibly gas? I have it at honda dealership who works on my other bikes. I'll take to triumph in denver if they can't figure it out. I've been all over searching possibilities any ideas would be appreciated.

Checking for flooding with flood clear
Hold throttle wide open and crank over a few times then back off throttle and should roar to life and run good.
May have a vacuum leak if the problem is at low rpm.
Also there have been a few cases of coil terminals being loose causing missing.
Bad gas will causing missing when cold

Bad gas is a good call- replace that and see how it goes. Otherwise the rough start sounds potentially like the step motor- could be bad or the linkage just dirty. Other thoughts in no certain order...

• throttle bodies rail, linkage, springs dirty- WD40 and toothbrush
  • TPS - this one comes up a lot. Would likely run bad even warmed up
  • Poor coil wire connections- the little thin wires need cleaning and crimping. Do this anyway
  • Vacuum caps cracked if you've gone to a different air filter system like K&Ns
  • Vacuum hoses cracked
  • Dirty fuel filter
There's other things, but these come to mind first and most are easy to check out. Start with the bad gas.

Edit- see @TURBO200R4 comment that he sneaked in ahead of me :)

Checking for flooding with flood clear
Hold throttle wide open and crank over a few times then back off throttle and should roar to life and run good.
May have a vacuum leak if the problem is at low rpm.
Also there have been a few cases of coil terminals being loose causing missing.
Bad gas will causing missing when cold
Thanks for reply. will check out

Bad gas is a good call- replace that and see how it goes. Otherwise the rough start sounds potentially like the step motor- could be bad or the linkage just dirty. Other thoughts in no certain order...

• Poor coil wire connections- the little thin wires need cleaning and crimping. Do this anyway
  • Vacuum hoses cracked
  • Dirty fuel filter
There's other things, but these come to mind first and most are easy to check out. Start with the bad gas.

Thanks for input. will start with gas a move down

Honda shop not getting anywhere with it. They don't have diagnostics for it. I got tuneecu i'm waiting for obd2 linklx to hook up. Honda guys changed plugs which were completely fouled. Oil is overfilled. Gonna change that. It'll start gurgle, a bit try and hit fast idol, give it some throttle and it goes. turn off and back on fires right up. For few hours then same thing. Didn't have engine light before plug change, got one now.

• Vacuum hoses cracked
  • Dirty fuel filter

TPS stepper motor adjustment. I just finally got all tuneecu stuff going figured it out. You were right.

Back