Fuel pump question 09” classic

Earthquake

.040 Over
Ride
09 triumph rocket 3 classic
I took my fuel pump out to get my tank powder coated along with the rest of the bike it was a son of a gun to get it out I’m thinking I bent what I can only assume is fuel light sensor is this supposed to look like this or is this supposed to bend forward and clip into the circle point anyone got any pictures of what it’s actually supposed to look like?

Attachments

• IMG_2850.jpeg
    IMG_2850.jpeg
    265.1 KB · Views: 59
  • IMG_2856.jpeg
    IMG_2856.jpeg
    106.5 KB · Views: 55
I took my fuel pump out to get my tank powder coated along with the rest of the bike it was a son of a gun to get it out I’m thinking I bent what I can only assume is fuel light sensor is this supposed to look like this or is this supposed to bend forward and clip into the circle point anyone got any pictures of what it’s actually supposed to look like?
Hi there,
.Just seen your post about the fuel sender unit,out of interest did you get any resolve to your question you were asking.I have a 2015 R3 and the sender unit was a complete pain to remove but when it finally came out it was identical to yours.When I say identical Imean the orientation of the float.,which is towards the back of the tank.All the other pictures I have seen show the float towards the front nearer the filler neck.Was this an upgrade on Triumphs part and why was it changed.Do any forum members know.Also on your second picture the sender rod position on mine is the other side of the bracket arm.Can any members clarify.Also on removal the complete unit was really badly corroded along with the inside of the tank.I would add this was after a lay off of almost a year.

Well I see the pictures and i think that trying to fix that is going to be a job
The red tank pictures is what yours should look like.
I don't know if they can be repaired after they are bent but might be able to help if you can post pictures.

Well I see the pictures and i think that trying to fix that is going to be a job
The red tank pictures is what yours should look like.
I don't know if they can be repaired after they are bent but might be able to help if you can post pictures.

When you say the red tank, is that the thread where the tank is cut through?.The thing with this is that the sender unit rod and float is pointing to the front of the tank pointing towards the front of the tank.When I took mine out the float and rod were pointing to the fuel pump end (the complete opposite) just like earthquake had posted in his first photo.The sender unit again is different from the red tank picture but the same as earthquakes picture.Is this there sender unit update.Mine is a 2015 model but not sure what year the other one is.Again like earthquakes post it really was a pain extracting the thing.It is quite puzzling.

It is not an update.
It is bent like the jolly green giant has been working on iti guess you have a few choices
1st you could take the rod off and put it back in there maybe gas light on also maybe check engine light on
2nd replace sending unit
3rd repair the sensor bend that float arm the other way and use an ohm meter to make sure it will work.
Most of the rockets older than 2019 read about three gallons when the sending unit triggers the ecu to turn on the low gas light. That is why the guys remove the unit and bend the float arm
Hth

Hi Earthquake,Did you actually get to the bottom as to what was the correct positioning of that fuel sender arm.The arm on mine is to the right of that bracket stop,yours is the other way to the left.Which one is correct.Only similarity is that is was a bugger to get out.

It is not an update.
It is bent like the jolly green giant has been working on iti guess you have a few choices
1st you could take the rod off and put it back in there maybe gas light on also maybe check engine light on
2nd replace sending unit
3rd repair the sensor bend that float arm the other way and use an ohm meter to make sure it will work.
Most of the rockets older than 2019 read about three gallons when the sending unit triggers the ecu to turn on the low gas light. That is why the guys remove the unit and bend the float arm
Hth
The option of buying another is not viable because there so **** expensive.Also looking at the senders they are selling (Genuine Triumph),they look nothing like this one.Mine and the picture Eartquake posted are the same sender,to which I have asked whether the float rod abuts the bracket tang to the left side or to the right side.Any body got a picture to show what a new ones meant to look like.Surely I couldn't of bent the thing that much.Could I?

Back