Rocket running poorly, suggestions welcomed

I have to ask do you have tuneecu on a laptop , or on your phone with you?

I am really wondering if the ecu knows your changing gears or is it still on the neutral map while your going thru the gears. I do agree with checking the low tension leads of the coil. I am confused about your fan statement. Something sounds irregular there.

Good morning, well at least it’s sunny & warm here - maybe too warm and muggy for working outside.

When I pulled in last night it sounded like the fan kept starting and stopping.

I checked the coolant level at the radiator and it was fine.

I topped it off with the Super Coolant and noticed that it did not drain but it probably needs pressure to push it to the overflow tank. I’ll make sure the hoses aren’t pinched when I pull the side cover to inspect the relays.

I bought sandpaper and plug removal tools but had to make a pit stop at IHOP.

I’m caffeining and carbing up before getting back to it.

OK, thanks. I’m 70 miles from them. If it were a straight shot I’d probably be able to make it but stop-and-go will kill me.

the bike was running perfectly for the past 3 weeks of this trip aside from the battery bolts loosening once in awhile with big bumps.

I’ll check the coils but will have to find a tool store to pull plugs as I didn’t bring my plug socket and extension.

my spare TPS is sitting next to my spare clutch cable 1400 miles north of me. LoL

I also didn’t bring.my ECU diag cable or laptop

Thanks for the pointers.
Now that I can help with, next day by 10am let me know

Good morning, well at least it’s sunny & warm here - maybe too warm and muggy for working outside.

When I pulled in last night it sounded like the fan kept starting and stopping.

I checked the coolant level at the radiator and it was fine.

I topped it off with the Super Coolant and noticed that it did not drain but it probably needs pressure to push it to the overflow tank. I’ll make sure the hoses aren’t pinched when I pull the side cover to inspect the relays.

I bought sandpaper and plug removal tools but had to make a pit stop at IHOP.

I’m caffeining and carbing up before getting back to it.

You don't have to pull the ugs to recrimp the coil power leads

If I re-call right, you ain't going to get a standard spark plug socket to work. Has to be skinny, to fit down in the holes. Could be the coil wires, fuel filter/pump/regulator?o_O

As long as there's coolant, I'd put off the fan concerns until you get home. I suspect it's an entirely separate issue, and likely running often simply because of the environment you're in. Starting and stopping is a good indicator of good health.

Have not seen it on a rocket, but have seen a faulty engine temp sensor cause a no start condition. Temp sensor was connected and had power but was telling ecu the temp was like 400 degrees so bike would not run. If yours is fluctuating telling ecu the bike is hot and cold it could be trying to adjust fueling. Fan coming on and off could be symptom if it's not sure engine temp.

Have not seen it on a rocket, but have seen a faulty engine temp sensor cause a no start condition. Temp sensor was connected and had power but was telling ecu the temp was like 400 degrees so bike would not run. If yours is fluctuating telling ecu the bike is hot and cold it could be trying to adjust fueling. Fan coming on and off could be symptom if it's not sure engine temp.

Funny you should say that.

I cleaned all the battery terminal wires and put them back together. There were lock washers but they were flat. I bent them so that should help.

I also verified that I didn’t unseat the left side relays or punch any tubes to the reservoir.

It started fine and I went for a test run. Got gas but at 3 miles it started hesitating again. I swung back and it stalled once but I made it back.

I just crimped 5 of 6 coil wires. Two did seem a tad loose.

As I was trying to get to the last one I noticed that the air sensor K&N filter looked grimy so I took it off to clean it and saw some white powdery residue at the base of the sensor. Unsure if that is normal or if it means the temp sensor could be bad?

As per cootertwo, my new socket will not reach the end lugs and I’m going back to see if they have a skinny one at any of the auto stores nearby.

My clutch cable is out of whack too but it’s been that way for a long time.

Can someone remind me how to get the clutch lever sensor off as I should check that (NO starting issues though).

Clutch sensor has a little tab on the bottom, push in and wiggle off.

The temp sensor that matters is the coolant sensor, the air temp sensor you can completely remove and the bike is still ridable, it only causes minor fueling adjustments (I don't recommend doing so though).

So now that coil connections and relays are done, but problem persists. There are only a handful of things that can cause it, in order I would check/replace:

TPS
Coolant Temp Sensor
Spark Plugs
Fuel Filter
Coil Wires
Coils

At this point you really need TuneECU. If someone in the area has a cable it will at least allow you to check TPS, and Coolant Temp Sensor to eliminate them.

Back