Votes: 8 13.6%
  • April 06 to June 06

Votes: 8 13.6%
  • July 06 to Sept 06

Votes: 4 6.8%

• Total voters

Toystoretom

Living Legend
Danno has a good idea, try and track idle problems in relation to the production date of your Rocket III. The theory being that maybe Triumph has solved this problem in later ECUs but just kinda forgot to tell us. If this were true, you might be able to replace your early ECU with a later one to fix the problem. This assumes that a new fuel map program won't fix the problem, that it is a hardware issue and not a "Tune" issue. The production date of your Rocket III is on a sticker on the left downtube of your frame under the steering head.

Only vote in this poll if you have an idle problem. If your bike idles fine with no stalling please don't vote.

by that Tom , I assume that you do want to include ones that have had (but are presently sorted) a fault ?:)

Thirdrock... If the bike had the symptoms most often described, but was corrected by the dealer and stayed fixed, I think we should leave it out. I don't think that there are that many that have been fixed permanently, and if they have, it may have been a different failure than we are talking about here. I will leave it to the owner's descretion, this is an unscientific poll anyway, but it may show us something, you never know.

JD... its on the left frame downtube... almost directly in front of the oil tank. The sticker wraps around the tube and it is difficult to see the production date, but it should be there. You may have to use a flashlight (torch? do you guys call them torches?) to see it.

Here's how it is appears on mine, JD yours maybe under the plastic cover or maybe the guy that puts the sticker on at the factory is the same guy that sets the idle and he had one too many at lunch.:D :D

Last edited:
Maybe Aussie bikes don't have that sticker?? In which case you would have to look at your paperwork, if you bought the bike new it would be on your certificate of origin I would think. A call to your dealer might help...

Idling: let triumph do the work!

WOuldn't it be an idea then to send an e-mail to all forum members, ask everyone if they have idling problems, collect the vehicle id numbers, names, addresses and mods, of owners that have this problem and send that as a group? Then you have numbers to proof we are right and they are not. Besides, instead of us trying to solve it, let triumph do. THey must be able to trace all parts used for each motorcycle. I wouldn't be surprised if something stupid as a faulty or undersized gasket would be the cause...

I don't know when a motorcycle manufacturer will call a problem a production fault, but I think they want to see a large number/percentage of total production. Thusfar all reports are sporadic, concluding from the different forums 20 bike owners state they have idling problems. But, if I read their posts, it should be many more.

The strenght of these forums for one thing is that we can reach rocket owners all over the world and thus draw statistical significant conclusions and make a point to Triumph. I don't know how many rockets have been produced thus far, but if a percentage has this problem, Triumph will have to make work of this issue.

Thusfar I'm happy not to have noticed this idling problem (my bike was produced somewhere 2004), and I hope I won't run into it.:roll: But if I do, I want a good solution for it!

Perhaps we have some lawyers in our midst who can write a magnificent intro letter stating the hazards of this problem, and who will most certainly be able to convince Triumph to do something about it. But, we need numbers... Polls won't help I'm afraid. Only people with those problems will visit this part of the forum. Also, we should engage other triumph forums in this problem.

In my humble opinion, that's the way to go...:D

Let me see if I understand this...

You want me to go to another forum and talk to a laywer.

I'm out on that deal....:eek:

Just kidding Doc... I had to do that... It's an old joke around here :D, and I just couldn't resist. We may do something along those lines but for now we are just trying to put a little friendly pressure on Triumph to try and cure this idle problem. It may turn out that there are 2 or 3 causes to this idle issue but it would be nice if Triumph would at least send out a TSB to its dealers on how to handle it. It seems right now that your chances for a lasting repair depends a lot on the skill level of your dealer's mechanic. I don't believe many Rocket III owners are getting a lasting repair..

We will keep chipping away at this... maybe I should put you in charge of Information and statistics? Another new forum!! I love new forums!!

Back