Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

Unfortunately you've sort of boxed yourself in a corner, looking for the "swiss army knife" of motorcycles that you hope will do all things well. Inevitably you will make compromises that may leave you dissatisfied. The R3 is a Muscle Bike. Wishing it to be something it's not may lead to your dissatisfaction. Recommend that you do some serious soul searching to determine what you really are after. If you can own more than one bike, you'll have your cake and eat it too.

if you live for the adrenaline rush, The R3 is your bike. It WILL deliver.
If you're truly planning LONG distance rides for two weeks or more, think carefully. You may do that once on the R3 but unlikely to repeat. It just isn't designed for that, no matter what anyone here tells you. If you think you'll ride two up, scratch it off your list. With a chick constantly whining in your ear your joy of owning an R3 will dissipate fast. If you are planning to leave her home, and live stop light to stop light, it is the ride for you.

I've been lurking on this list as I'm itching to buy myself a birthday gift by the end of the year. I currently have a Hayabusa, VTX1800 and Goldwing in my stable. (The GW was for my bride who suddenly never rides-thanks DEAR!!). The busa has almost 40,000 miles on it and it's been all over the country on two week jaunts of 6,000 miles or more. Best sport tourer ever made. I get all the adrenaline I need from that bike but the VTX is no slouch. I will let you in on a little secret. People don't know that shifting the Wing (NO DCT for me thank you) at 4,000 rpm or higher and you'll unleash the beast you didn't know it was. The Wing is a screamer and handles like a heavy sport bike. Strongly recommend you ride one for a couple hours before ruling it out. Of course, it doesn't look like a muscle bike so there's that.

if you can only have one bike, don't take anyone's word for it. And don't buy anything without a serious demo ride. if a dealer won't give you the keys, WALK.
Someone here posted how much fun it is having people come over asking about his R3.

Try pulling into a gas station on your Hayabusa. The kids see the Kanji and start to come over, only to recoil in horror when I pull off my full face helmet and they see grandpa with a full head of white hair riding a busa! Now that's what I call FUN.

Hyabusa is on my list for a last new bike, good to hear you like it. Originally I wanted a k1600gt, but the price.... The new Busa seems a bargain for what it is, although you have to add luggage.

My 2020 GT with Penners tune in it was magical...someone said these run out of go at 200 clicks well not mine...at 240 clicks it wanted to launch!...my angel said NO!...so i listened...As far as comfort goes its beautiful...i dont do panniers..just a Kreiga backpack with a 10l strapped on if needed...more than enough gear in there for a few days. ..I'm not a rider who likes to load up with gear and battle along...less is more for me so i can enjoy the bike.If im going to a destination which is miles away i will send my gear via courier and travel light.
Pack light. One pair of under ware will last 4 days. Regular, back to front, inside out then back to front again. You're welcome.

Last edited:
I recently sold my bike, now looking for a replacement. I want one do-it-all shaft drive bike with plenty of torque and very low centre of gravity and low seat. Use is pleasure, touring, commuting, weekdays and weekends.

I do mainly solo local riding within 75miles but want to start doing some longer distances solo touring etc. I want comfort, luggage space, good headlights, easy maintenance, good brakes, shaft drive, nice gearbox, reliability (cant stand stuff going wrong/breaking down and visiting dealers. Only time I want to see dealers is for servicing).

I’ve reached the point where I’ve basically got it down to either a Rocket 3 GT with rack and pannier bags or the new Honda Goldwing base/bagger model (not the big lardy arse one). The Rocket looks proper! The Goldwing looks practical. Things putting me off a Rocket are the missing rear mudguard, did Triumph not plan on anyone riding in British climate and getting crud all up their jacket back? Also the tank is quite small and fuel economy is not very good. I’ve read of a few issues/problems here on this forum too.

The Goldwing beats the Rocket in many practical ways, even comes with built in satnav, carplay and panniers. All good for touring. But the Rocket looks sh*t hot has character and grin factor. Goldwing panniers are fixed on so filtering could be a struggle. Trying to get test rides is difficult.

I thought you guys are the people to ask. Anyone here faced similar purchase decision? Anyone use their Rocket for touring or use it everyday in all weathers? Are they reliable? Easy maintenance? Do you guys only go out when its sunny/dry and have you done anything about the missing rear mudguard? Am I barking up the wrong tree here and the Rocket is for pure pleasure only?
From what you stated, I'm thinking the r3gt is a better fit. Had you said I will do 75% time touring, it would be the GW.
Your comments after sitting on one at dealer was spot on! Riding it over time will increase enjoyment.
One cannot overstate the difference in handling a 900lb bike vs 650lbs, in both moving backwards, out of parking lots, slow turns, and twisties.
Good luck and let us know what you decide.

we could travel together and get 8 days once we swapped...and after that they become neck scarfs...
Or face masks. 😬
Normally I would give a hell no
images.jpg
but there are exceptions.

Back