Rocket 3GT or new Goldwing bagger

BTW: Did you look at the BMW K1600 B ?
TBH after previously owning a K1600GT, I didn’t want to go for another BMW. I did look at a K16B and its the one I’d go for if wanting a BMW, but after my prev experience, I’d rather not go there again. BMW has a great dealer network here but they need it. Their bikes are always going back for warranty work, then become a money pit when warranty expires.

TBH after previously owning a K1600GT, I didn’t want to go for another BMW. I did look at a K16B and its the one I’d go for if wanting a BMW, but after my prev experience, I’d rather not go there again. BMW has a great dealer network here but they need it. Their bikes are always going back for warranty work, then become a money pit when warranty expires.
Now you're worrying me, I've had great luck with my K1200GT, I've been looking at K1600GTs.

Thanks for this. I assume the small fuel tank has not been a problem for you? How has your bike been for reliability? Btw, have you had any issues with the bag zippers or water leaking into the bags?
I was getting 15.9 km/l on my GT...its an 18 litre tank. The Gt seat is VERY comfortable and the feet forward gives you a great posture on long hauls.

I recently sold my bike, now looking for a replacement. I want one do-it-all shaft drive bike with plenty of torque and very low centre of gravity and low seat. Use is pleasure, touring, commuting, weekdays and weekends.

I do mainly solo local riding within 75miles but want to start doing some longer distances solo touring etc. I want comfort, luggage space, good headlights, easy maintenance, good brakes, shaft drive, nice gearbox, reliability (cant stand stuff going wrong/breaking down and visiting dealers. Only time I want to see dealers is for servicing).

I’ve reached the point where I’ve basically got it down to either a Rocket 3 GT with rack and pannier bags or the new Honda Goldwing base/bagger model (not the big lardy arse one). The Rocket looks proper! The Goldwing looks practical. Things putting me off a Rocket are the missing rear mudguard, did Triumph not plan on anyone riding in British climate and getting crud all up their jacket back? Also the tank is quite small and fuel economy is not very good. I’ve read of a few issues/problems here on this forum too.

The Goldwing beats the Rocket in many practical ways, even comes with built in satnav, carplay and panniers. All good for touring. But the Rocket looks sh*t hot has character and grin factor. Goldwing panniers are fixed on so filtering could be a struggle. Trying to get test rides is difficult.

I thought you guys are the people to ask. Anyone here faced similar purchase decision? Anyone use their Rocket for touring or use it everyday in all weathers? Are they reliable? Easy maintenance? Do you guys only go out when its sunny/dry and have you done anything about the missing rear mudguard? Am I barking up the wrong tree here and the Rocket is for pure pleasure only?
I don't know about the base/bagger, but the lardy arse one takes 1.75 hrs book time to change the air filter. Nearly every piece of bodywork has to come off to change it.

-----
For me, the rocket would need a better seat like a Corbin for touring. For highway cruising above 120km/h it needs a bigger wind screen. As is, the GT is great for 1500km weekend getaways, but I wouldn't want to do a week on it.

On my GT, I get people coming up to me to ask about it every time I ride it. That's always fun.

I also have a ZX14R and nothing compares to it's power band. Love my R3GT, but if push came to shove and I could keep only one bike, the zx14R would be it. Nothing else makes me almost crap my pants.
Exactly the same for me. The rocket acceleration peters out around 200. At 200 my ZX14R is still pulling hard.

Exactly the same for me. The rocket acceleration peters out around 200. At 200 my ZX14R is still pulling hard.
I lost 35lbs recently and it is amazing how I can now get the front end to act like a horse:) I just need some neigh sounds. I'm adding a tooth in the back and dropping one in the front. Have the parts, just waiting for the guts. :)

The problem with the ZX is that the fun doesn't start until 80km/hr. On the R3, it is off the start. Again, such a different feeling and both are great.

I lost 35lbs recently and it is amazing how I can now get the front end to act like a horse:) I just need some neigh sounds. I'm adding a tooth in the back and dropping one in the front. Have the parts, just waiting for the guts. :)

The problem with the ZX is that the fun doesn't start until 80km/hr. On the R3, it is off the start. Again, such a different feeling and both are great.
The R3 is like taking off in a space shuttle. The sheer power is enough to alter your existence. Careful you other bike riders...if you try the R3, nothing will ever be the same and a look of envy may cross your face as an R3 owner drives by.... (LOL folks)

Exactly. The rocket is fun at "reasonable" speeds. The 14 is fun at stupid speed 😁

Back