Safest bet is let it fully come up to temp with the cap off, or get an antifreeze tester, it's like 20 bucks to see if you have exhaust gas in the coolant.

If that's not the issue, and you're not losing coolant over time, I stand by condensation over night assuming we're not talking stock exhaust.

My bike blows a few puffs of white on cold start, expecially when I touch the throttle and I know I wasnt leaking at the HG or the valve stem seals (just pulled the head last week).

If that is connected to a breather then that might be the problem. It was blocked a nd I tried to suck the debris out with a straw but I don't think I got it all. I am going to Utah in an hour with the bike, I'll see if it clears up. If not next week I'll do a leak down test. Ill check the water today.

if the vent hose (breather) is blocked it might build pressure in the engine and blow off the oil cap on the tank.

if the vent hose (breather) is blocked it might build pressure in the engine and blow off the oil cap on the tank.

I had this issue before and it was simply bad gas that had water in it. A little seafoam in the tank and filling it up with some good gas after riding it seemed to clear it up. Is it possible that it is as simple as that?

Very possible.

With the stock intake plumbing gone, there's very few possibilities for water/white smoke in the engine.

HG
Contaminated fuel
Contaminated oil (condensation)
Leaking water pump seal allowing water into oil

That's really it.

First of all, how long has this white smoke issue been around? How much smoke is there and does it go away or remain as you drive? If it has been around for a while you should notice a reduction in your anti freeze level in the rad. Also, if it is a defective head gasket (typical reason), compression pressure might pressurize the rad forcing anti freeze out into the overflow tank along with some bubbling. Often when diagnosing a white smoke issue coming out of the exhaust, you can taste the anti freeze in the smoke, a sure sign you have an internal anti freeze leak. If that is taking place, pull the spark plugs to see which ones are discoloured.

Was the bike ever overheated? Highly doubt you have a valve guide issue.

If the white smoke is there for only a few minutes during start up, I agree with Claviger.... condensation.

SM
SMOKE IS GONE
It turned out to be bad gas. Gas that had been sitting in it had turned to some sort of sticky **** in the bottom of the tank. Once tank was drained and the fuel system cleaned and new gas added there is not a hint of any smoke.

Glad it was an easy fix!
Me too. I immediately thought the worst. So glad it was just the gas. I love this bike, have no idea what I could replace it with that would be as good. They don't even make the Touring anymore and thats the only one I'm interested in. The Harleys, Indians, Goldings and BMW's just aren't as good. I normally pack my wife and the Rocket still outperforms most everything else. I have a Boss Hoss and although its more powerful it doesn't stop or handle as good and it doesn't have cruise control.

Back