I know this is an old post but I wonder if we can still ponder this. I have a 2017 Roadster and have always ridden it with a large windscreen. I am not sure what buffering is other than bad air around the helmet caused by a void. I have an issue I think coming from the windscreen at 110 mph I get a small amount of side to side movement in the front forks. About 120 mph this becomes more movement than I want to deal with at that speed. is this one of the issues you guys are talking about? Thanks

I have never gotten any buffeting and none of that sort.
Have ran the OEM full size shield, the Clearwater, the Jurrock7 and now the giant fly.
I do long rides around the country and the Giant Fly is the best for top end by far.
My shield set up is measure 150 feet in front of your front tire, place a rock there.
Sit your motor, sight to the rock and set shield top in that line.

Check front tire for cupping & check the gooseneck bearing tightness.

Have ran the OEM full size shield, the Clearwater, the Jurrock7 and now the giant fly.
I do long rides around the country and the Giant Fly is the best for top end by far.
My shield set up is measure 150 feet in front of your front tire, place a rock there.

Check your air pressure. What rear tire are you running?

My barndoor syndrome was cured with a 16" Windvest and Harley FLH lowers. Ahhh, replaced the rear car tire for an Exedra Max. Ride a 3/4 Bell 500 helmet.

My barndoor syndrome was cured with a 16" Windvest and Harley FLH lowers. Ahhh, replaced the rear car tire for an Exedra Max. Ride a 3/4 Bell 500 helmet.

I just knew you were smart!!!
Congrats.jpg

Hi lolbull, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have checked the stock tires, and pulled and prodded all around the front forks. Nothing suggest the bike should have movement like this. At highway speeds to 100 mph the bike is a Rockstar and never fails to put a smile on my face. I have nothing to compare to as my last bike was a Goldwing and my current tourer is a Victory Vision and, well, you just don't ride those bikes 120+. I know we are supposed to ride "in the wind" but I am old and wimpy so the windscreen is a must.

Which brings me to my additional question for you. Have you hit 110+ mph with you Giant Fly without any noticeable movement in the front end? Thanks again and I have taken note on your great advice for adjusting windscreens. Godspeed.

Hi 1K9, thanks for taking the time to respond! I am running the stock Metzeler 240 with 34 psi. LOL, wind vest...… I know we are suppose to ride "in the wind" but I am old and wimpy, and live in the desert with seemingly flying tortoises, dust storms/ devils every mile and every car/ truck tire picking up the sand particles just so us motorcyclist can shower. I have never ridden this bike "in the wind" but I may have to. Just to see if I get the same result at speeds above the basic speed laws, LOL. Thanks again, Godspeed.

For wind protection I ride a car or stay indoors, If you want to enjoy a motorbike to its fullest ditch the windshield and all thoughts of one.:D

Yeah, yeah, yeah..... My car won't do 0-60 is three seconds, just not the same an I am a wimp so, a windscreen is a must. Thanks for responding, Godspeed.

Hi 1K9, thanks for taking the time to respond! I am running the stock Metzeler 240 with 34 psi. LOL, wind vest...… I know we are suppose to ride "in the wind" but I am old and wimpy, and live in the desert with seemingly flying tortoises, dust storms/ devils every mile and every car/ truck tire picking up the sand particles just so us motorcyclist can shower. I have never ridden this bike "in the wind" but I may have to. Just to see if I get the same result at speeds above the basic speed laws, LOL. Thanks again, Godspeed.
Try 40-42 psi in the rear. I had a load of well over 400lb with a huge screen with extensions top, bottom and sides and it was rock steady even through sweepers at 120mph. I have it set up so it still comes off or goes on completely in a few minutes using the same 4 bolts at the forks.

R3's at RDU Nyngan (2).jpg

Hi lolbull, thank you for taking the time to respond. I have checked the stock tires, and pulled and prodded all around the front forks. Nothing suggest the bike should have movement like this. At highway speeds to 100 mph the bike is a Rockstar and never fails to put a smile on my face. I have nothing to compare to as my last bike was a Goldwing and my current tourer is a Victory Vision and, well, you just don't ride those bikes 120+. I know we are supposed to ride "in the wind" but I am old and wimpy so the windscreen is a must.

Which brings me to my additional question for you. Have you hit 110+ mph with you Giant Fly without any noticeable movement in the front end? Thanks again and I have taken note on your great advice for adjusting windscreens. Godspeed.

HEH! HEH! HEH!
I have buried the speedo at 140mph many time without any buffeting.
I have hit 135 with full panniers and large bag on rear fender while on long trips a half dozen times as well without any buffeting issues.
This has been done with 3 shields and the giant fly.
I highly recommend the giant Fly. I have a bad neck, back,hip and knees.
I am a large (read wide) fellow and this fly protects me well enough I ride multi thousand mile trips regularly.
If you haven't lifted the front wheel, grabbed it from the front with both hands and checked up & down for slop in the steer head bearings, you should!

Back