Try 40-42 psi in the rear. I had a load of well over 400lb with a huge screen with extensions top, bottom and sides and it was rock steady even through sweepers at 120mph. I have it set up so it still comes off or goes on completely in a few minutes using the same 4 bolts at the forks.

R3's at RDU Nyngan (2).jpg

Hi Ishrub, thank you for responding! I will try changing the air pressure. I'm in awe that the rear tire could be a factor here, but with today technology nothing is suprising. Beautiful bike, love your setup. Godspeed.

Try 40-42 psi in the rear. I had a load of well over 400lb with a huge screen with extensions top, bottom and sides and it was rock steady even through sweepers at 120mph. I have it set up so it still comes off or goes on completely in a few minutes using the same 4 bolts at the forks.

R3's at RDU Nyngan (2).jpg

P.s. would love to see more pics of your bike. You have done some neat things in the front. Who's the manufacture of the windscreen?

HEH! HEH! HEH!
I have buried the speedo at 140mph many time without any buffeting.
I have hit 135 with full panniers and large bag on rear fender while on long trips a half dozen times as well without any buffeting issues.
This has been done with 3 shields and the giant fly.
I highly recommend the giant Fly. I have a bad neck, back,hip and knees.
I am a large (read wide) fellow and this fly protects me well enough I ride multi thousand mile trips regularly.
If you haven't lifted the front wheel, grabbed it from the front with both hands and checked up & down for slop in the steer head bearings, you should!

1olbull, aren't these bikes amazing! I have not found another bike that I feel comfortable on at 120+. Its like Driving some of these newer cars at what you belive is 70 but you're doing 100. Don't get me wrong, I certainly am aware of, and have a great respect with caution for the high speeds. Hay, thanks for the suggestion of checking the forks with the front tire off the ground. I have not done that but I will! Godspeed.

HEH! HEH! HEH!
I have buried the speedo at 140mph many time without any buffeting.
I have hit 135 with full panniers and large bag on rear fender while on long trips a half dozen times as well without any buffeting issues.
This has been done with 3 shields and the giant fly.
I highly recommend the giant Fly. I have a bad neck, back,hip and knees.
I am a large (read wide) fellow and this fly protects me well enough I ride multi thousand mile trips regularly.
If you haven't lifted the front wheel, grabbed it from the front with both hands and checked up & down for slop in the steer head bearings, you should!

P.s. I love the bike in your icon pic.

Hi Ishrub, thank you for responding! I will try changing the air pressure. I'm in awe that the rear tire could be a factor here, but with today technology nothing is suprising. Beautiful bike, love your setup. Godspeed.

Its all off and in the shed at the moment I have changed all the body work to OEM Factory Phantom Black with Red stripes including the Fyscreen. Leather panniers, chrome cages and frames are off now too.

Instead I have a @Mittzy QR Stainless Rack with QR pannier / hardcase mount and no sissybar.
Also got a RIVCO XMAS tree rack on in place of pillion pad, so can take off the QR one if only small items to be carried or maybe strap a 'roo roadkill on the back for the dog and me .........other friends.;):D

Maybe Red Stripe my other XL Flyscreen some time and finish my other Orange Tribal body work set in the next few years too.

Last edited:

It is a Clearview kick topped clear screen with Clearview 5 position vent. These have to be fitted to stock OEM Triumph chrome straps and mounting kit. Unusually the one I got second hand had been made with the smaller OEM 'Summer' screen with 3 hole strap but the screen is exactly identical in size to my other stock 5 hole Roadster one.

The Top and side screens are from Memphis Shades a big US all brand/model accessory brand.

The Stainless Steel lower blades are from a UK smallscale seller of Lotus Cortina and track car stuff on eBay (similar to the Harley ones used by @1K9 ), but you have to design, make and fit the mounts yourself.
I attached mine to the screen mounts so it all comes off easy in one piece for storage.

I have since found identical vents for sale for about US$25 delivered from China on eBay. Easy to cut and retrofit in any screen and besides some cooling helps reduce the the LOW pressure behind the screen that draws Higher pressure air in from the sides and below which is likely the cause of buffeting and turbulence.

The effects of with and without is very evident with a long beard and open face helmet! ;):D

Last edited:
Or where I stole it from?;):D

R3Owners 1olbull avatar.jpg

OMG, your new Icon pic would so be me LOL. I had a Saint Bernard for many years and he was my shadow. Life is bigger with a Saint. Now I have a few shepherds. Thanks for all the info. Godspeed.

Back