blip

Supercharged
Ride
2014 R3 Roadster
so I am the proud new owner of a rocket III roadster. I used to ride a R3T but have decided to see how the other half lives :)

I am interested in understanding what everyone does for wind protection. I tried ridding with the stock windshield and the clearview but actually prefer it without a windshield.

I was planning on the fleetliner fairing from corbin. does that work for people? Do you still get turbulence or updraft? Has anyone fitted an inner fairing for extra comforts?

I can only speak on the small size shields. Angry fly screen size, Sport screen etc.

They don't really do a hell of a lot when sitting straight up for me, at 6'2" my head is above the pocket. That said, at any speed no matter how high, I can tuck down on the bike and slip into the pocket easily if the wind gets too strong, ya know like when riding say 50 mph into a 100 mph headwind....

I have seen quite a few threads on people trying to solve the wind in the face issues, usually they go something like:

Tall forward screens do block some air but they are too far away and rider still gets buffeting, owners tries every screen they can find and ends up modifying one to work or buys a batwing for the calm pocket effect.

I can only speak on the small size shields. Angry fly screen size, Sport screen etc.

They don't really do a hell of a lot when sitting straight up for me, at 6'2" my head is above the pocket. That said, at any speed no matter how high, I can tuck down on the bike and slip into the pocket easily if the wind gets too strong, ya know like when riding say 50 mph into a 100 mph headwind....

I have seen quite a few threads on people trying to solve the wind in the face issues, usually they go something like:

Tall forward screens do block some air but they are too far away and rider still gets buffeting, owners tries every screen they can find and ends up modifying one to work or buys a batwing for the calm pocket effect.

My history with screens I think is similar. I had a kawasaki meanstreak before my R3T. With the mean streak I found that the buffeting from the screen was bad so I just rode happily with no screen. On the R3T it was much better but I had an updraft that would take my shirt over my head if it wasn't tied down lol.

My plan before I crashed my R3T was too install a fairing. I am leaning toward that on the R3R as well. So far with the R3R I've dusted off my full face helmet (which I used to use on my mean streak when I rode without a screen) and it is more than comfortable enough at any speed. For long trips (4000 km+) I might need something better. From reading other posts it sounds like the flyscreen is the way to go for city riding and the fairing if I need anything more.

Thanks everyone for the great input :)

I received my R3R last spring and I rode the first 10000km with the windscreen. Now all I have on is the fly screen and that's all I'll ever have. I spent that entire 10000km dicking with the adjustments trying to get rid of buffeting or at least minimize it, adjust air flow..... Etc. every thread I read with respect to windscreens or fairings is followed by how do I get rid of....or adjust for....
Not worth the effort in my opinion. I think you'll find the majority of folks here do what they like and what gives them the ride they search for.

As for me, I have gotten used to the wind on my chest and to be honest I kinda like it. I purchased an Arai full face helmet with vents everywhere, couple that with the vents on my jacket I can control how much air I get and the best part, no buffering.
All that to say the Rocket and the fly screen...looks good... Even if all it does is keep the bugs off the guadges,
Good luck

The sports screen is all I've ever had on my Roadster and it's been great. I've ridden without it too but it's way to wet around here to keep it off all year lol.

I stuffed around trying to make the Std touring screen on my rocket work to no avail I bought a 23 inch extra wide with recurve with the optional vent Clearview put lowers on and now have no issues and no buffeting but still prefer the fly screen for shorter trips and hooning around but on longer trips the big screen is a bonus

Last edited:
I stuffed around trying to make the Std touring screen on my rocket work to no avail I bought a 23 inch extra wide with recurve with the optional vent Clearview put lowers on and now have no issues and no buffeting but still prefer the fly screen for shorter trips and hooning around but on longer trips the big screen is a bonus

Windvest makes some nice screens. 16-18" is small enough to see over, but cuts out the buffeting well

Windvest makes some nice screens. 16-18" is small enough to see over, but cuts out the buffeting well

For whom to see over?
This would depend on how tall your torso is.
I run a 23" and easily see over the shield and be only 70 inches tall.

There is a solution using the National Cycle screen for a Suzuki. Far more streamlined.
Sorry I cannot remember which model. Maybe somebody can chirp up.

Back