HD gets points for designing a great rolling couch. I am doing my best to recreate the couch experience on a rocket platform. The original poster is 6'8" in the 320s . I'm 6' in the 340s and the Harley felt small to me. The rocket being what it is is the biggest bike you can buy and fits us big boys.

'17 and '18 Harley touring bikes are much improved. Better suspension and the new M8 rocks from what I hear. That said, I have a '12 Road King with the air shocks that totally suk. Bike rode like an over sprung buck board until I put Progressive 412s on it, now the ride is considerably better. Sounds like I might end up having to do the same when I finally find my Rocket.... we shall see.

Recently got invited to attended the unveiling of the 2018 Harley's at the local dealer in Tulsa Oklahoma. So we rode the Rocket X to the event. Parked and got off the bike quickly and wondered around. For the most part few people saw me get off the bike. Did observe a lot of people checking it out but never let on that it was mine. Until a salesman made a comment to a potential customer that his new 2018 117 cubic inch would cleanly blow away the truimph. I walked on up and inserted the key. Started the bike and asked the salesman very nicely to go get his 117 cubic inch screaming chicken and lets see. Did not happen. Instead I was asked to leave. So we did rather fashionably. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:

Recently got invited to attended the unveiling of the 2018 Harley's at the local dealer in Tulsa Oklahoma. So we rode the Rocket X to the event. Parked and got off the bike quickly and wondered around. For the most part few people saw me get off the bike. Did observe a lot of people checking it out but never let on that it was mine. Until a salesman made a comment to a potential customer that his new 2018 117 cubic inch would cleanly blow away the truimph. I walked on up and inserted the key. Started the bike and asked the salesman very nicely to go get his 117 cubic inch screaming chicken and lets see. Did not happen. Instead I was asked to leave. So we did rather fashionably. :roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll::roll:
Not cool picking on little kids and retards Sonny.

At 185lbs I didn't think there was anything wrong with my stock 2013 R3R. Some one posted this link:
and I watched the entire series of videos on suspension tuning and technology.
What an eye opener! So, after I let that info stew for a couple of months, I thought what the hell, I 'll just see if there could really be that much difference?
I decided to go with Wiburs on the rear first. They are set up from the factory for your specific weight. Took about 1 hour to swap them out as I had to remove the Corbin beetle bags to gain access, otherwise it would have taken like 20 minutes.
First few minutes down the road I couldn't tell anything different. Just about the same shock absorption for straight and level. I was thinking, "well there went $1,000.00 dollars" Then I got to the foot hills and out of traffic and, OMG! The handling difference was immediate and incredible. I had no idea what I was missing. If I had known this I would have changed them as soon as I bought the bike. It also makes me think about all the bikes I've had where I just accepted the stock suspension as being "ok"? The stability going into and out of turns is as if I'm on a completely different bike.

Now I can't wait to do the front forks this winter and plan to use the Traction Dynamics AK-20 Gas cartridge inserts. In fact I was planning to do their drive-in-drive out option but the winter is here already and not likely I can get to Atlanta before spring, so I may just ship the front forks to them and have them tuned and returned?

BTW, my son just did the Drive-in-drive out option with them on his Yamaha FJR 1300 before heading out to the west coast and he hasn't stopped raving about the difference. They ran into some issues that are not his or their fault from previous "NewYork mechanic maintenance" which really complicated the installations and shop time and Traxxion Dynamics bent over backwards and went way out of their way to make it all correct. KUDOS to Traxxion Dynamics for their effort and service!

I vaguely remember posting that... I think... I know I’ve watched it a few times. I also have Wilber’s rears, the 642s. I had a similar experience the first ride, thinking ... wait what where is the better ride?!

Then I found a turn, then a massive pot hole, then I couldn’t get off the bike because of how good it was lol.

Regarding HD vs Rocket.

HD is by design meant to filter out all feedback and give you a comfortable isolated disconnected ride, to make going long distances easier.

Rocket is by design meant to give you visceral feed back, to make it fun, and cope with the VAST power difference.

Not even the same class/category bike, in any way beyond having 2 wheels.

The HD will be a “better” cross country bike...unless you’re hard/stubborn/hate HD. Conversely you CANNOT build an HD that will keep up with an equally modified rocket....ever.

I vaguely remember posting that... I think... I know I’ve watched it a few times. I also have Wilber’s rears, the 642s. I had a similar experience the first ride, thinking ... wait what where is the better ride?!

Then I found a turn, then a massive pot hole, then I couldn’t get off the bike because of how good it was lol.

Regarding HD vs Rocket.

HD is by design meant to filter out all feedback and give you a comfortable isolated disconnected ride, to make going long distances easier.

Rocket is by design meant to give you visceral feed back, to make it fun, and cope with the VAST power difference.

Not even the same class/category bike, in any way beyond having 2 wheels.

The HD will be a “better” cross country bike...unless you’re hard/stubborn/hate HD. Conversely you CANNOT build an HD that will keep up with an equally modified rocket....ever.
You are totally correct, the harley is built to give you a long range ride on a long run, the rocket is a different animal and commands your attention. So much torque and power on the highway. And yes big norm, my new harley did feel small after riding the rocket for 30000 mi. Also whoever that harley rep was that thought for a second the harley would outrun a rocket he must not be a biker. My 06 rocket would play with my buddies street glide and he had a 120 R motor in it. Definitely two different machines. I loved the rocket but at my stage of life I'm after the comfort, navigation, audio, and cruise. The sucker does get some mileage too. Its fun to compare and rationalize the differences in bikes. I hope to be riding when I'm 70 with any luck. Thanks guys. Later, Jim

I like them both. I wish Triumph would build a real Touring bike with all the bells and whistles. Especially a big fat seat for my big fat ass.

Thanks for the info and feedback - I'm 325 right now, looking to get down to 290 (I'm also 6'8" tall) - will check out the options and pricing for springs. Is it a b**ch to change out the front fork springs??
I would
Thanks for the info and feedback - I'm 325 right now, looking to get down to 290 (I'm also 6'8" tall) - will check out the options and pricing for springs. Is it a b**ch to change out the front fork springs??
i can't even imagine you sitting on that bike! My R3T feels much smaller than my roadstar and I am 6'5/280. I plan to undertake an extensive floorboard modification project this winter.

Back