Reinstating the Wheelie Machine

Well progress!

Did a coolant flush and oil change.
Added good gas.

Listen as the bike wakes up from it's long slumber. At first it sounds super rough, like it's running on 2 cylinders, but ever so slowly, she sounds better and better, by the end it sounds like my old Daytona I used to know! Amazing really, that 4 years on, it fired up relatively easily and within 5 minutes could be ridden again. Honestly, I think it's a testament to what good maintenance can do, it was very well maintained prior to being put away.

I still have a lot to do, including installing new fork seals, and washing her is going to take me probably the better part of 5 hours, but the engine runs and runs well, so everything else is easy. Looks like I'll be on my Daytona for RAA West!!

Remaining List:
Slip-on Reinstall
HID Removal, LED Bulb instasllation
Chain Maintenance
Fork Seals and oil
Super Detailed wash of everything
Clip-on Adjustment to not interfere with fairing
Brake Switch fix
Check on wheel bearings
De-Rust the brake rotors
Check Cooling fan function
Replace missing Kickstand bolt

Honestly, I think I'll be taking it for a ride sometime next week once my fork seal driver arrives, it's the last thing I am waiting on at this point.

Step 1 Complete, it runs!!

Reviving my Daytona on Saturday after 3 years 9 months of being neglected! Thankfully I put it away with new plugs, air filter, oil, chain, and sprockets.

Need to evaluate the wheel and swing arm bearings and will do fork seals next week (unless they come in the mail by Friday).

The list:
Coolant Flush - Done
Oil Change, run it, change again. - Done
Fuel Quick disconnect replacement. - Done
Brake Fluid Flush - Done
New Pads
Chain Maintenance
RR wiring clean up and Solder
Fuel Filter - Skipping
Reinstall Exhaust
Tires
New Battery - Done
Frame Sliders - Done
Engine Case Guards - Done
Cable lube/clean
Integrated Signal Mirror Clean up/Solder
HID wiring clean up/Solder - Changed to Replace with LED Bulbs
Wash N Wax
Engine Bolt Kit Install
Fairing Bolt Kit Install

Soon to be reinstated! So....soon I’ll get to find out if I even enjoy sportbikes anymore
3F4789D5-9B01-4B51-9765-7BE07E473CCD.jpeg
:p

Waiting on tires and tools and I'm ready to ride RAA West :p Runs great, no engine codes. Strange behavior - First time key on, hit start, will crank forever but not start. Key on, tap starter, key off, key on, it starts right away... whatever.

Had it up to temp a few times, fan works, brings it straight from 99 to 93, so cooling system is healthy.

Bearings all seem fine.

Charging system charging acceptably.

Seems almost ready to go :p

Strange behavior - First time key on, hit start, will crank forever but not start. Key on, tap starter, key off, key on, it starts right away... whatever.

Just sold my tt600 last week, 4 years, that was the starting procedure, read a million threads, never figured it out. Never on first crank, no matter how long, occasionally 2nd, but generally 3rd, and only first start of the day, a mystery. Couple other owners reported same, most not, no one else ever figured it out either.

What remains:

Fork Seals
Tires (Michelin’s are definitely shot).
Replace Kick Stand Bolt

Waiting on parts and tools to finish.

So after going all through this, I had a long think.

I’m in love with the idea of fully restoring my first bike (I learned to ride on this Daytona) to better than new, but, not in love with how far behind the times it’s grown.

As a result, I’ve made a firm decision to ride it this year and trade it in next spring. If it’s on a new R3, so be it, but right now I’ve decided on an H2 SX SE, which quite frankly, I consider the Apex predator of the “do it all” motorcycle world currently.

Full top tier electronics suite
Easy bumped from 170whp to 222whp for $250 via ECU flash on an otherwise stock bike.
Up to 44mpg when riding polite
Unrestricted top speed (200+ with flash)
Cruise control
Heated grips
Removable bags that fit a full face helmet
Up and down Quickshifter
$22,000.... In my eyes nothing holds a candle to it.

That’s the benchmark, so, Triumph better come out swinging or I’m jumping ship.

Current Status:

LT Dan, you ain’t got no legs!!

Actually shocked at the cost people charge to do “standard” fork seals... it’s so easy?!

8 Year old fork oil came out bright blue.

18F0064A-EB55-44D2-B8CF-153A5F357BD9.jpeg
0244BCFA-9E17-4B91-8997-BCCE841AF0D8.jpeg
B65BF3F9-811D-4F82-B303-28CE7309761F.jpeg
75B965C9-7AA9-4752-BDCA-DAB86F28B3B4.jpeg
3F38013A-1D3D-4162-8D6C-28A635597D4D.jpeg

Attachments

• CC5A241A-E9B0-4F31-A8AF-C6B2DC71FCD8.jpeg
    CC5A241A-E9B0-4F31-A8AF-C6B2DC71FCD8.jpeg
    257.7 KB · Views: 1
Back