Race track set up - great suspension discussion by the masters

This video I linked, watch his videos when you have some free time. He knows more about racing suspensions that still work well on the street than anyone I'm aware of. He learned the trade working on motorcycle suspension and applied his knowledge to cars. Fatcat suspension is equiped on nearly every SCCA champion car these days, many of which are street driven with the exact same setup. I've ridden in one, and I thought it was the stock suspension because it is so comfortable. There is nothing special about motorcycle suspension theory vs cars.

I'd suggest viewing, in particular, his discussion about Konis (which will apply to Ikons). They're far from bad, but also far from optimized (so are Wilbers).

Starting effort on all these nitrogen gas shocks is going to be too high. Fatcat may be willing to do a one off set of motorcycle shocks, I haven't inquired as the Wilbers are fine for me and I don't want/need a plush ride.

65/130 spring rates aren't all that high to be honest for a Rocket 3. Only slightly higher than the Progressive 444s, what will make them feel stiff is the gas pressure being (too) high.

If you're after drag specific shocks, contact Penske. Skip all others, go directly to Penske (with a big budget). For the right money they'll build a custom setup.

I got to ride Tal's rocket a few miles when he had Wilber's on it and man was that setup hard. Was like runing a ten speed bike back in the 80's over speed bumps. Fn uncomfortable.

The brilliance of them is only realized in certain scenarios, on seriously bad roads where most suspension will bottom out, the Wilbers will not and cornering where they don't collapse under cornering forces. It's a compromise for sure and one not for everyone.

When you get to the point where you're riding beyond the spring rates established for your weight, and have to start springing for speed instead of weight, the Wilbers are perfection in motion. Weight use to determine spring rates is only ever a starting point for suspension design.

Last edited:

This video I linked, watch his videos when you have some free time. He knows more about racing suspensions that still work well on the street than anyone I'm aware of. He learned the trade working on motorcycle suspension and applied his knowledge to cars. . Fatcat suspension is equiped on nearly every SCCA champion car these days, many of which are street driven with the exact same setup. I've ridden in one, and I thought it was the stock suspension because it is so comfortable.

I'd suggest viewing, in particular, his discussion about Konis (which will apply to Ikons). They're far from bad, but also far from optimized (so are Wilbers).

Starting effort on all these nitrogen gas shocks is going to be too high. Fatcat may be willing to do a one off set of motorcycle shocks, I haven't inquired as the Wilbers are fine for me and I don't want/need a plush ride.

65/130 spring rates aren't all that high to be honest for a Rocket 3. Only slightly higher than the Progressive 444s, what will make them feel stiff is the gas pressure being (too) high.

If you're after drag specific shocks, contact Penske. Skip all others, go directly to Penske (with a big budget). For the right money they'll build a custom setup.

The brilliance of them is only realized in certain scenarios, on seriously bad roads where most suspension will bottom out, the Wilbers will not and cornering where they don't collapse under cornering forces. It's a compromise for sure and one not for everyone.
Thanks much appreciated, this weekend I’m fixing to do some learning on the suspension, the eye candy that started this thread is producing some great stuff for rookies just starting to race, having input from guys like you and warp who and others that really know about racing these beast is very cool and appreciated

I’m hoping this helps launching because I’m awful at it.
D2B17ED5-4D02-404F-856A-F80EFEA8C696.jpeg

I’m hoping this helps launching because I’m awful at it.
D2B17ED5-4D02-404F-856A-F80EFEA8C696.jpeg
Another one of our brilliant minded forum contributors helped
If you don't want springs on your bike then you better go with air shocks too. :p
hey it ain’t that I don’t like springs but I don’t want sonny coming down on me cause springs suck nuff said

Another one of our brilliant minded forum contributors helped

hey it ain’t that I don’t like springs but I don’t want sonny coming down on me cause springs suck nuff said
Well since by the end of 1st you'll be too far behind to see my springs, I guess it doesn't matter. :p

Back