R3 Touring model differences over the years?

I have a 2012 & was told that they had gotten all the kinks out of it by that years . I now have 65000 kms and have not had any problems with it so far . Do regular maintenance , oil chgs during winter down time . Even decided to give it go with a CT . & I am now pulling a mini mate camper . Life is wonderful . If you do get one ENJOY you would regret it . Just my thoughts ! Have done a few mods .

The R3 is the 2.3L version. The RIII is the 2.5 version.
That's not correct, it's the other way around (you probably just mixed them up).

The new 2.5L models from 2019- are badged Rocket 3.
The old 2.3L models were badged Rocket III.

I've never seen the new 2.5L models referred to as RIII. They are always R3.
But the old 2.3L models are sometimes referred to as e.g. R3T (which is a bit confusing now since the new 2.5L models arrived).

There was something about the OBD connector being changed for the 2014 model. The performance shop that did my tune mentioned that they could hook up to my 2013 R3T but the 2014 had a different, more proprietary connector? All hearsay folks, not verified. As mentioned in many posts, you can go from 88 to 120 horse (back wheel) with a simple tune as they restricted the secondary throttle plates on the R3T to 40% at factory. Cheers.

Hello @shazaam my 2014 has given me 84K miles now with a few minor issues. The clutch went out at 54Kish and I have to replace the tires every 13K miles now. This bike is not treated well. It is left outside all year round but is ridden all year too. I think riding it all the time helps keep it alive.
I up graded the cans to TORS when I got the bike and this year replaced the entire exhaust with a Viking full dual system. The Viking does add more torque as judged by the highly calibrate sensor in the seat of my pants.
I have rode several 12 hour days on this bike with no ill affects at the end of the day. I enjoy it greatly.

The R3 is the 2.3L version. The RIII is the 2.5 version.
I guess the 2008 RIII Touring I just bought is really a 2.5 liter!!! Because it says on the speedo

Whatever it is, I changed it a bit and put the Nell's tune in and I'm really enjoying it, I did a little research on the tires and put the Metzler's on it as Triumph recommended them or the Avon's, I have no problems with them but I haven't pushed it too much, getting up to 100mph feels a little shaky, but I think it's the windshield and bag's, will try it without and see if it's better, I just normally Cruise anyway, but it's a lot different than my old kz 1000 above 100, it's been a long time sense I've really been riding, got rid of the Old Ball and Chain time to live again, I called Bridgestone about matching a front bias tire to put on the back cause I couldn't find the size in a bias tire, they said they don't make a tire for that bike, some guys on here mix and match different manufacturers and sizes, I trust the engineers that recommend something know more than me, the only time I locked up the back tire now is in the rain. I replaced a Bridgestone on the rear that was at the end of it's life but still had tread and I locked that up twice on a dry road, I hear the Metzler's only last about 5,000 miles and the Avon's more I think 7 or 10,000, I keep the air psi at the recommended also, I hear if you Carry 2 up or more than avg. Weight you can up it 1 or 2 lbs, but that's it, and for better traction up to 2 psi less, I haven't experimented with that to know, but I do know the manufacturer's of the tires and bike say you can adjust up to 2 psi either way and be okay, but I've seen an under inflated tire just disintegrate on an SUV, the whole sidewall was blown out, but that was extremely low probably like 20 psi in a tire that required 35, surprised my X stayed on the road.
But it's Big and I like Big, better too big than too small, I'm 6'4" 300lbs I was looking at Harley ultra glides with a 114 cu.in. and couldn't find many choices and they were all $20,000 + . I don't have a garage so I couldn't see leaving a $20,000 hunk of metal outside even with a cover on it so I googled what is the biggest production motor made and found the Rocket, I was hooked, than I saw the price and went to pick it up that weekend and haven't regretted it yet, gl in your search, I found mine on cycletrader.com. The test drive was shaky cause I found out when I went to take it out the first time the front had 22psi and the rear 25psi, I even commented to the seller it wobbled going around the turns at 45mph a little, glad it was only a 45mph zone. Gl have fun and remember Murphy's Law anything that can go wrong will go wrong then you'll be ready for anything like crazy drivers in a mad rush just to get a few feet in front of you, it's a cruiser easy does it and get there, gl

Attachments

• IMG_20210929_175344.jpg
    IMG_20210929_175344.jpg
    128.8 KB · Views: 22
Last edited:
Back