Purolator oil filters good or bad

motolink

Nitrous
Ride
2011 Roadster and 2001 Bonneville
Did an oil change on my Roadster today, had Purolator synthetic oil filter PSL14610 which I had never used so I fitted it. Anyone had a bad experience with these oil filters.​

Did an oil change on my Roadster today, had Purolator synthetic oil filter PSL14610 which I had never used so I fitted it. Anyone had a bad experience with these oil filters.​

Nope. They're great; a little longer than stock so you get a blue stripe after the cover is on. They do not make them anymore though. I believe they were replaced by the Boss filter.

20170707_095856_001.jpg

20170707_095911.jpg

Still fully synthetic media same length as the old PSL 14610 so you get a black stripe now.

Last edited by a moderator:
Nope there great a little bit longer then stock so you get a blue stripe after the cover is on. They do not make them anymore though. I believe they were replaced by the boss filter.

20170707_095856_001.jpg

20170707_095911.jpg

Still fully synthetic media same length as the old PSL 14610 so you get a black stripe now.

Better than a brown stripe :(

The series of Purolator filters with numbers 14612 and 14610 were great to use on the Rocket until the recent revision in the design. The threaded area was concave but the new design is now convex. The convex threaded area will not allow the filter outer rubber seal to completely compress. It will leak. You cant use them anymore unless you get lucky and find some of the older concaved filters. I happened to find 2 of them last week and snatched them up.

Last edited:
Any filter from a major manufacturer will be fine, no need to overthink it. None of the major manufacturers can afford to put out a product that wont do the job, they could not afford the lawsuits getting five bucks wholesale (wild guess) and paying out thousands to replace motors that failed due to their product. What the major manufacturers do do is send millions to ad agancies who, much like politicians, exacerbate every minute difference between their filters in the hopes of convincing end users they must have their filter and no other.

Last edited:
I have noticed a lot of filters that people claim are ok, do not have an inbuilt bypass valve. Some will sayy that it is not important unless you do not change your filters/ oil often, the OEM filter has one inside. The $1 or $2 dollars you save per filter every 5000 km may or may not be worth the savings/risk.

I have noticed a lot of filters that people claim are ok, do not have an inbuilt bypass valve. Some will sayy that it is not important unless you do not change your filters/ oil often, the OEM filter has one inside. The $1 or $2 dollars you save per filter every 5000 km may or may not be worth the savings/risk.

I will always use original parts because if it's good enough for them it's good for me. Money saved is minimal but I get peace of mind.

Back