rocketbill

Supercharged
Ride
2013 Rocket 3 Touring
Changed my final drive oil today and then noticed it should be fully synthetic. I have been using kawasaki 80w-90 mc gear oil. Changed it when I bought this bike 3k miles ago. Should I go buy the synthetic? Should be 75w-90 I figured 80w-90 was close enough but it was not synthetic. I changed it after one year because when I changed it last year it was dark like motor oil, when I change my final drive oil on my Yamaha fjr 1300 it looks almost like new oil.

You are not going to find the answer in the books
So here is what I would do if the bike was mine
Mine was black at 6000.
I started to change mine at 5000 miles
and also change motor oil at the same time. The final drive takes very little oil so buy the synthetic oil.
I would leave the regular lube in there and ride it for 1 or 2000 just enough to clean it some then go with the synthetic lube.
Just be very careful and don't snap the drain bolt/magnet off. It is very easy to do.
Hth

Found this at the local Yamaha shop.

Attachments

• IMG_0127.jpg
    IMG_0127.jpg
    53 KB · Views: 11
Changed my final drive oil today and then noticed it should be fully synthetic. I have been using kawasaki 80w-90 mc gear oil. Changed it when I bought this bike 3k miles ago. Should I go buy the synthetic? Should be 75w-90 I figured 80w-90 was close enough but it was not synthetic. I changed it after one year because when I changed it last year it was dark like motor oil, when I change my final drive oil on my Yamaha fjr 1300 it looks almost like new oil.
I change the final drive oil every time I change the engine oil, which is once a year, for the amount of oil it takes and the time it takes, why not?

Having replace one FD and rebuilt another on my Roadster ($$$) I would not take any chances with different weights or non-synthetics. @TURBO200R4 's advice is good (as always) to run what you have a little as a cleaner, then put in the right stuff. I always used the 75-90 Mobil 1 gear oil you can get at auto parts stores and change often. Be sure to lube those splines every other change with moly

Back